Why does my brew taste like hot alcohol?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geim32

Reaction score
I've made several batches of beer now but this is the first to taste like this. It was a jai alai clone. It tasted great for the first month and then 2 or 3 months later tasted very hot any suggestions? I always follow the temps during brewing and fermentation.

geim32 said:
I've made several batches of beer now but this is the first to taste like this. It was a jai alai clone. It tasted great for the first month and then 2 or 3 months later tasted very hot any suggestions? I always follow the temps during brewing and fermentation.

What temp are you fermenting at? Post up the recipe you used.

Fusel alcohols from high brew temps. It produced just enough of them to become noticeable as the beer mellowed out over time. Keep your brew temps within range of the particular yeast being used.

Most likely due to warm fermentation. What yeast and what temperature do you suspect it fermented at?

Usually Fusel alcohols are due to too high a fermentation temperature and stressed yeast but this is normally an issue that fades over some conditioning time, not get worse. Are you sure that is what you are tasting and not something else?

The reason I said that was due to off flavors not being that strong to begin with,hence not noticeable right away. Some off flavors don't dissapear with time,not completely.

Back