Attaching vinyl tubing to kitchen faucet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmiddleton

Reaction score
I bottled my first batch of beer about a week ago, and have another kit on order (should hopefully be picking it up soon). One of the things I found problematic was getting water in to the primary fermenter.

For that first batch, I used an 8-cup measuring cup, but now that I've got the markings on my primary, I'd prefer a faster (and less strenuous) way to get the water from my tap to my primary (I've got a good carbon filter, and they don't use chlorates in my area).

I've been to Home Depot, and have poked around the internet, and the only solution I've found thus far is to get a garden hose connector. Thing is, I'm not really comfortable using a garden hose - seems like a recipe for problems, besides which I don't need it to go that far.

Basically, what I want to do is connect a piece of clear vinyl tubing to my kitchen faucet, so I can run it down most of the way to the floor.

Any ideas?

Sure, you can do that...Go back to HD and tell the guy in plumbing what you want to do and he should be able to help you sort it out. Get the garden hose adapter, an adapter to go from garden hose to a barbed fitting, a hose clamp, and some hose...too easy. :mug:

mmiddleton said:
I bottled my first batch of beer about a week ago, and have another kit on order (should hopefully be picking it up soon). One of the things I found problematic was getting water in to the primary fermenter.

For that first batch, I used an 8-cup measuring cup, but now that I've got the markings on my primary, I'd prefer a faster (and less strenuous) way to get the water from my tap to my primary (I've got a good carbon filter, and they don't use chlorates in my area).

I've been to Home Depot, and have poked around the internet, and the only solution I've found thus far is to get a garden hose connector. Thing is, I'm not really comfortable using a garden hose - seems like a recipe for problems, besides which I don't need it to go that far.

Basically, what I want to do is connect a piece of clear vinyl tubing to my kitchen faucet, so I can run it down most of the way to the floor.

Any ideas?

You can do that if you get an adapter that matches your faucet (bring your faucet screen in to match at a big box store) that goes to a 3/4" fitting and then get a 3/4" hose fitting to 3/8" barb. They sell plastic ones for like 2 bucks in the garden section or a brass one in plumbing for around 10

Take your aerator ( or whatever you have on the end of your faucet) to compare threads of the adapter you will need.

Sure.
A faucet to garden hose adapter (male) will allow you to connect a (female) garden hose to barb fitting onto which you can clamp a vinyl hose.

They even make garden hose to 1/2" NPT adapters for more versatility.

Mind, many of the very modern looking specialized kitchen faucets, and those with embedded spray heads, can not easily be adapted.

Thanks everyone! The good news is, the previous owners of the house were cheap as heck, so the kitchen faucet is quite generic. Should be able to remove the aerator with no fuss at all.

Back