High Bicarbonates

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WortMonger

"Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My water profile is crazy.

pH 7.4
Ca 70.5 ppm
Mg 33.5 ppm
Na 3.8 ppm
SO4 7.6 ppm
Cl 4.3 ppm
HCO3 410!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wow that is really high bicarbonate.
What in the crap should I do for a light golden ale or lager with this water? If I boil to parcipitate the HCO3 then I lose all my calcium, I think. Adding calcium back either takes my sulfates higher or my chlorides higher depending on my source for the calcium. Is this a problem that could easily be corrected by filtration better than boiling and adding back chemicals???? I have never been a water guy only using RO before with chemicals added. I would really like to use my water, but wonder about that high a HCO3 level. Any help would be great.

That's high, but not as crazy as our water here.

Calcium 2.96 ppm
Magnesium 0.7 ppm
Bicarbonate 459 ppm
Sodium 200 ppm
Chloride 54 ppm
Sulfate 9 ppm

Now that's out of whack!! Almost no calcium or magnesium to balance out the insanely high bicarbonates.

Have you checked out Palmer's spreadsheet or nomographs on water corrections? See here. Highly recommended!

Here's what I've been doing. I add about 1/2 - 3/4 of the amount of lactic acid required to get the residual alkalinity into the range needed for the beer's SRM. Then I add the 5.2 pH buffer and let that lock the pH in where it needs to be. I still have horrible efficiency, but my beers taste great. Another local brewer said he strictly uses lactic acid and has had good results. I like the idea of the buffer since the levels probably fluctuate throughout the year. It takes the guess work out.

You could also try just diluting the water with 50% RO/distilled water and adding the 5.2 pH buffer. That would probably work just as well.

BTW - I've made the assumption that you're brewing AG. If you're brewing extract beers, then your water chemistry probably doesn't matter as much.

I have similar well water. Makes great porters and stouts - other styles need some adjustment.

Ca - 63 ppm
SO4 - 7 ppm
Mg - 24 ppm
Na - 25 ppm
Cl - 5 ppm
HCO3 - 289 ppm

For light colored beers, I dilute to 80% distilled water/20% well water. Add back calcium/sulfate/cholride to desired levels depending on style - malty or bitter.

That said - I like Lil' Sparky's idea about adjusting pH with acid and using some 5.2 buffer. I will consider trying that in the future as an alternative to buying distilled water

Wow, that is a lot more info than I was expecting on Palmer's sheet. What a PITA. I really don't understand buffers and what not. Using beersmith, it seems easier to use RO and add. I do wonder though about hydrochloric (muratic) acid and the buffer, can you guys explain more where I might get a grip on it in my head?

The bicarbonate makes the water (mash) alkaline. The more bicarbonate, the more residualy alkalinity. The acid (any acid) neutralizes the base. Is that what you're looking for?

The buffer sets pH of the mash, regardless of where it starts, but it can only buffer so much. If you have too much residual alkalinity, it won't be able to get the pH all the way down. I haven't tried just using the buffer without the acid. It may work OK, but I just add the little bit of acid to make sure. We're only talking ~ 5 ml per batch.

Give another look at Palmer's spreadsheet. It's really straight forward. You enter in the details for your water, how much you'll be mashing with, and then you play around with the additions until the SRM range is what you're looking for. It's the same that you would get using the nomograph, but all in spreadsheet form.

Good luck.

Back