Lagering a Chocolate Bock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

libeerty

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a couple thoughts I've been wrestling with, and am unable to find consensus elsewhere. I am making a chocolate bock. The diacetyl rest is complete and I am currently lowering the temperature back down to lager it. I am adding 4 oz. of cacao beans and 2 vanilla beans, but am unsure when the best time to do it would be. I suppose I have 3 options.

1.) Add the beans at the beginning of lagering, sampling every week or so from the keg to determine when they've done their job, then take then out and let the lagering continue.

2.) Add the beans at the beginning of lagering, and leave them in there for the 3-4 months I intend to lager for.

3.) Towards the end of lagering, add the beans, sample until I think it is right, then take those beans out.

Would love some thoughts. Thanks.

1) Would probably be a bit harder unless you have a bag or something to pull the nibs & beans out. Could work well.
2) I wouldn't personally do this, just because you wouldn't be going by taste, just time.
3) I would lean this way, because more lagering can't hurt. Over spicing, however, is not ideal.

Hope that helps!

I ended up going with with Option 1 so I can age it after the cacao and vanilla were added.

Back