longest time you've kept beer in the primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STLExpat

Reaction score
I have a three gallon batch that, due to a crazy month, has been sitting in the primary for about three weeks now. It did ferment, little plastic thing in the airlock is still up, and no signs of any infection. Four pounds of barley malt total ( pound each of pilsner, smoked, CaraHell, and Munich 1 from Weyerman) in the mix, 1.2 Oz total of Tradition and Tettnanger hops, around 4.5 ounces of additional sugars from honey and rock sugar as well in the brewing process. Yeast was Safale 05. Any chance it'll still be good, or am I looking at problems? Temp has been around 73-75° consistently.

There's a ton of threads asking this, there were 2 yesterday alone....the answer is folks have left their beer in primary for even as long as a year with no issues. I've repeatedly left mine in primary for 6-8 months with no issues, and NO it doesn't matter whether it's a plastic bucket or a glass carboy.

Back