Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You all seem extra bitchy lately. Ease up and stop ruining whats left of this thread.

It was a joke. It's what the Brits call taking the Mickey. It's all good natured. If I started on about how I couldn't stand Weedweiser and how I used to drink it all the time, I would expect a bit of mocking when I revealed that I actually meant Budweiser. I found it amusing that he wanted to bash a woman (calling her a hooker, no less) for ribbing him about drinking a beer that he didn't even know the name of. It's almost ironic. Initially I really did think someone had ripped off Stone's schtick. Would a smiley help? Maybe a LOL or two? Our senses of humor aren't the same, and that's ok. This entire thread is full of examples of one person posting something and another posting that it's not funny.

If anything, we are helping to continue the thread. LOL! (<--that was a joke)

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I found it amusing that he wanted to bash a woman (calling her a hooker, no less) for ribbing him about drinking a beer that he didn't even know the name of.

If anything, we are helping to continue the thread. LOL! (<--that was a joke)

Brighten my morning up reading between the lines.
"young lady, dressed like a hooker" this came before it was seen she was buying Coors Lite. Dude was too busy checking her out or trying to figure if she was in fact a hooker! :D

Does a "normal" person knows what acetaldehyde is?
More than likely, no.

Do most people know, or have heard of, Formaldehyde?
More than likely, yes.

I could very well accept that the rumour was possibly based on the exchange of these 2 words
Just like there was a point in time when DDT was considered safe or that dumping oil/gasoline/or kerosene into lakes and ponds was a good idea (decreases water tension thus destroying mosquito breeding grounds), and since formaldehyde has a classified for-use as a disinfectant, it is plausible that formaldehyde was once used to sanitize cans.

Your assessment may be possible but it is also possible that more what the evidence says to the contrary people are going to believe what they believe.

Aldehydes are often used as flavoring compounds, both natural and synthetic. It is understood that aldehydes are formed at some point during the beer making process, and it is generally thought they contribute to the background taste of beer, but to what extent is currently not known. It is currently thought that these aldehydes bond to other molecules and as such mask their own unique tastes. It is also currently thought that these aldehydes eventually release themselves as beers age to which they contribute to a "staling" of the beer. Beers like Bud are "designed" and meant to be drunk as soon after production as possible, perhaps to avoid detection of these aldehydes.

It could also be, that because of the release of aldehydes in "old" beer, that rumors such as Bud has formaldehyde, Corona has formaldehyde, Heineken has formaldehyde, and so on get their start.

It would be interesting to age a can of Bud for 3 or 4 years, then to analyze its contents.

I don't doubt that Bud gives some people headaches. For what-ever reason Pabst upsets my stomach in ways that no other beer does. The upset stomach I am talking about is the next morning...on the toilet... It's only Pabst that does that to me suggesting that something is in Pabst that is not in other beers I drink or have once consumed.

This is an interesting topic. Anheuser-Busch claims that "... the majority of our products are brewed without any artificial ingredients, additives, or preservatives" but they make no indiction which ones are or what the artificial ingredients, additives, or preservatives may be. AB does claim that tannins are used as an anti-haze agent in Bud, and that these tannins are removed prior to bottling. Perhaps this what induces the headaches?

Then I found this:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/chemical-additives-commercial-beers-21378/

More than likely, no.

More than likely, yes.

Just like there was a point in time when DDT was considered safe or that dumping oil/gasoline/or kerosene into lakes and ponds was a good idea (decreases water tension thus destroying mosquito breeding grounds), and since formaldehyde has a classified for-use as a disinfectant, it is plausible that formaldehyde was once used to sanitize cans.

Your assessment may be possible but it is also possible that more what the evidence says to the contrary people are going to believe what they believe.

Aldehydes are often used as flavoring compounds, both natural and synthetic. It is understood that aldehydes are formed at some point during the beer making process, and it is generally thought they contribute to the background taste of beer, but to what extent is currently not known. It is currently thought that these aldehydes bond to other molecules and as such mask their own unique tastes. It is also currently thought that these aldehydes eventually release themselves as beers age to which they contribute to a "staling" of the beer. Beers like Bud are "designed" and meant to be drunk as soon after production as possible, perhaps to avoid detection of these aldehydes.

It could also be, that because of the release of aldehydes in "old" beer, that rumors such as Bud has formaldehyde, Corona has formaldehyde, Heineken has formaldehyde, and so on get their start.

It would be interesting to age a can of Bud for 3 or 4 years, then to analyze its contents.

I don't doubt that Bud gives some people headaches. For what-ever reason Pabst upsets my stomach in ways that no other beer does. The upset stomach I am talking about is the next morning...on the toilet... It's only Pabst that does that to me suggesting that something is in Pabst that is not in other beers I drink or have once consumed.

This is an interesting topic. Anheuser-Busch claims that "... the majority of our products are brewed without any artificial ingredients, additives, or preservatives" but they make no indiction which ones are or what the artificial ingredients, additives, or preservatives may be. AB does claim that tannins are used as an anti-haze agent in Bud, and that these tannins are removed prior to bottling. Perhaps this what induces the headaches?

Then I found this:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/chemical-additives-commercial-beers-21378/

I didn't find any of that funny. We must have a different sense of humor :ban:

I did some work for A-B in the early 90's. They were pretty proud of being "all-natural" at the time. Since then, I've heard they may be using silica gel as a clarifying aid, but that settles out. I don't think they use any heading agents or chemicals to prevent skunking.

Heineken is what gives me a hangover, esp. in Europe.

I didn't find any of that funny. We must have a different sense of humor :ban:
Well, I consider the Help, I can't get up commercials hilarious if that tells you anything.

A man walks into a bar carrying a piece of asphalt underneath an arm. He says to the barkeep "I'll have a beer and then take one for the road".

Is this thing on?

Tough crowd.

If corn oil comes from corn, and vegetable oil comes from vegetables...

Where does baby oil come from then?

Girl Scout: Is this made from real lemons?
Wednesday: Yes.
Girl Scout: I only like all-natural foods and beverages, organically grown, with no preservatives. Are you sure they're real lemons?
Pugsley: Yes.
Girl Scout: Well, I'll tell you what. I'll buy a cup if you buy a box of my delicious Girl Scout cookies. Do we have a deal?
Wednesday: Are they made from real Girl Scouts?

Kind of nit-picky, but I found it amusing:

Went into my LHBS to pick up some ingredients I'd ordered for an altbier. When I got there, the guy behind the counter tells me, "We were out of the altbier yeast (WY1007) you wanted, so we made a substitution. Is that okay?"

Me: "Well that depends, what is it?" (I was thinking maybe the White Labs alt, WLP036)

Him: *looks at label* "It's WY3068" (Weihenstephan)

Me: *Trying to be polite* "Ummm... how about something else? That's not a really good sub for an altbier".

Him: "But it's a German Ale yeast. What's the difference?"

Me: "...... Do you have any WLP036?"

Him: "No."

Me: "Well how about literally any other neutral ale yeast? Or even a lager yeast would be better than 3068."

Him: "Let me check" ..... *Comes back with a packet of WY1007, what I had asked for from the start* "How about this?"

Me: "Perfect, thanks!"

Kind of nit-picky, but I found it amusing:

Went into my LHBS to pick up some ingredients I'd ordered for an altbier. When I got there, the guy behind the counter tells me, "We were out of the altbier yeast (WY1007) you wanted, so we made a substitution. Is that okay?"

Me: "Well that depends, what is it?" (I was thinking maybe the White Labs alt, WLP036)

Him: *looks at label* "It's WY3068" (Weihenstephan)

Me: *Trying to be polite* "Ummm... how about something else? That's not a really good sub for an altbier".

Him: "But it's a German Ale yeast. What's the difference?"

Me: "...... Do you have any WLP036?"

Him: "No."

Me: "Well how about literally any other neutral ale yeast? Or even a lager yeast would be better than 3068."

Him: "Let me check" ..... *Comes back with a packet of WY1007, what I had asked for from the start* "How about this?"

Me: "Perfect, thanks!"

Finally something funny again.

At the bottle shop waiting for a co2 refill.
Girl: "I know this is a weird question but do you have and non alcoholic gluten free beer?"
Worker: "If we did it would be back there "(pointing to the gluten free section)
She looks around for a minute then asks another worker.
Worker 2 with puzzled look on his face: "we have gourmet sodas..."

Well, I consider the Help, I can't get up commercials hilarious if that tells you anything.

A man walks into a bar carrying a piece of asphalt underneath an arm. He says to the barkeep "I'll have a beer and then take one for the road".

Is this thing on?

Tough crowd.

Lmao!!! Now, that's funny!

25 oz beer- the extra ounce is FREE! ImageUploadedByHome Brew1403906004.323331.jpg

Girl: "I know this is a weird question but do you have and non alcoholic gluten free beer?"
Worker: "If we did it would be back there "(pointing to the gluten free section)

Seriously, why even bother?

Reminds me of the soy "milk", sugar-free vanilla, decaf, one shot with whip (latte, etc) coffee drinkers.

Why? Just get something else. ANYTHING else.

I would have pointed her to the water section.

Just went and grabbed a growler of Drink By 7/4/14 and this young lady, dressed like a hooker, in front of me at the cashier said to me, "A growler? Get some real beer man!" She was buying a case of Coors Light. I actually laughed out loud when the clerk looked at her and said, "Young lady, you are drinking water!" Of course, I gave him the nod.

Where can you get it in growlers/on tap? I've only seen it in bombers around Chicago.

I had the 7/4/14 on tap at a Mellow Mushroom Pizza (it's a chain, but I don't know if there are any in IL).

There's a Mellow Mushroom near my Mom's house in Lexington, SC. If I'd known they had good beer, I'd have insisted we go there instead of getting take out last time I was there!

There's a Mellow Mushroom near my Mom's house in Lexington, SC. If I'd known they had good beer, I'd have insisted we go there instead of getting take out last time I was there!

Dude, the Mellow Mushroom not only has great beer but awesome pizza and sandwiches also! They sell Cigar City beer (from Florida) and others. BTW, I go to the one in downtown Columbia in the Vista...

:off:
The Old Mill Brew Pub usually has a pretty good selection too next time you're in the area.
Conquest and RiverRat Brewing Companies recently opened up in Columbia and Lexington is in the running for getting an honest to god Stone Brewery here in the next few years.
No need for takeout anymore :mug:

Mellow Mushroom here in Herndon, VA is kind enough to host our monthly brew club meetings.

their beer list includes this description of Miller Lite: "Beer-flavored Water"

32 taps, good selection of local brews, but their food is only "meh"

and I'm not sure they have a license to fill growlers

I think it's funny to assume that there *wouldn't* be a difference between Bud Light and Coors Light. Bud Light IS better than Coors Light, and Miller Light is better than both of them. They have more flavor than Coors Light, which is watery.

When I'm really thirsty but don't want water I'll have a coors

Yeah, it's mostly a Southern chain, but they have some great beers. I've had some rare Stone releases, Zombie Dust, and I think they did a KBS release too (I didn't make it to that one). The local one also has a party room where they bring in brewers and do tasting events.

The Old Mill Brew Pub usually has a pretty good selection too next time you're in the area.
Conquest and RiverRat Brewing Companies recently opened up in Columbia and Lexington is in the running for getting an honest to god Stone Brewery here in the next few years.

This is all true. Conquest and River Rat brews near Williams Brice stadium (my avatar!) and have quality products that you could probably find at the Mellow Mushroom in the Vista downtown. I know they have some at Jillian's.

I've been to the Old Mill Brewpub and like it. But the first time we went (before they were making their own beer), it was Mother's Day, and a complete travesty in terms of waiting over an hour for food, after we'd waited forever to place our order. We heard wait staff talking about fights in the kitchen... Mom won't go back. So this last time I went back with just my wife.

Mellow Mushroom Pizza is great! It seems dine in is called for, next time I'm there.

I've also been to Hunter Gatherer in downtown Columbia. Decent beer.

"Oh you like microbrew? I used to be a hardcore Coors-man, but lately I've been getting into craft beer. Like Pabst Blue Ribbon beer."

I thought he was joking at first, but he just looked confused at my chuckling....

"Oh you like microbrew? I used to be a hardcore Coors-man, but lately I've been getting into craft beer. Like Pabst Blue Ribbon beer."

I thought he was joking at first, but he just looked confused at my chuckling....

That's pretty bizarre. One wonders what he thought "craft beer" actually meant.

I went once to pick up a load of bomber bottles someone had advertised on Craigslist specifically for homebrewers (he wanted a quarter each). It turned out they had never been rinsed, and each one had a clot of dried beer in the bottom, many with fuzzy mold growing on them. He actually tried to convince me that leaving the dregs of the beer would "add flavor." Which I guess is technically true....

That's pretty bizarre. One wonders what he thought "craft beer" actually meant.

He probably misheard him as saying "crap beer"

:D

Kidding, kidding. I kinda like PBR :rockin:

It does make one hell of a beer braut boiling liquid, just some PBR in a pot with some raw sausages...yum.

Add a few quartered onions, some pepper, and a few pats of butter and you've got it. Transfer brats between the grill and the boiling pot several times until done, and serve from the pot. The onions make a delicious topper. Greatest tailgating food ever.

Gotta throw a couple chopped jalapeños in there too. Makes those onions a little spicy and adds to the deliciousness. Doing a batch tomorrow and going to try in the crockpot for a few hours for the first time. Can't be bad

Back