How about an Homebrew Forum competition?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheesefood

Reaction score
I have an idea.

How about a competition between homebrew forums? The way I see it, I think we have a couple of BJCP people here, right? They can judge the "semi-finals" which would determine which beers we put up against other homebrew forums. We then elect either one judge from each forum, or find some independent judges, and they determine which forum has the best brewers. Maybe we can even get some companies to donate prizes.

I'd be willing to volunteer by putting together a website discussing the contest, and by submitting some beers.

Anyone think other forums would be interested in seeing which community has the best techniques and best brewers?

As long at BP is submitting all the HBT beers, I'm down with this... ;)

I still kinda like the idea I proposed a while back about their being an HBT competition, but that seemed to run into the problem of there not being very many people here who had any kind of judging background (as judgemental as we all are ;)).

Here's how I would propose it be run:

Categories:

1. IPA
2. Wheat
3. Specialty
4. Lager
5. "Big Beer" - over 8%

Since it's a small population, too big of a variety could lead to unopposed categories. However, I think all forums will have a really good recipe for each of these categories since they're kind of the styles that every homebrewer should be able to make well.

It would be fun to have bragging rights against other forums, and at the same time bring together our communities.

Cheesefood said:
It would be fun to have bragging rights against other forums, and at the same time bring together our communities.

A club I used to four wheel with came up with a rockcrawling compeition to get together all the Central Texas 4x4 clubs under the same guise of connecting everyone since everyone wheeled in their little clicks. The competition ended up having an opposite result only hardening the clicks and distancing the groups.

I personally don't have any real desire to compete with the green board or anything. What does it really prove in the end? I'd be much more interested in having a competition amongst ourselved; now, THOSE would be some bragging rights!

I think it's about time for another beer-swap, as well.

the_bird said:
I personally don't have any real desire to compete with the green board or anything. What does it really prove in the end? I'd be much more interested in having a competition amongst ourselved; now, THOSE would be some bragging rights!

I think it's about time for another beer-swap, as well.

x2:tank:.....

I'd just like to reach out to other tribes.

Sorry for the sucky idea.

I just wanted to create something beautiful.

I'll abstain from ideas from now on. Glad to know my place.

We already know we're better than the other forums.. ;)

Although I will say the AussieHomeBrewer.com board is full of talented brewers. But they're upside down so they don't count. lol ;)

(Actually, if we were ever to "allie" with another forum, I'd suggest them. I've been a lurker there for a year.)

Let me tell you all something right now. I have seen the other clubs.
We are kings of the geeks.

There may be clubs with better brewers (Quaff), but as a whole we are a better community.

Those guys meet once a month, we meet all the time 24/7.

Denny's Evil Concoctions said:
Although I will say the AussieHomeBrewer.com board is full of talented brewers. But they're upside down so they don't count. lol ;)

This (the aussie one) site gives me the sh*ts.
Nowhere nearly as easy to use as this one. maybe I will have to try harder to get used to it!

Back