Show off your 2012 Hops garden!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These are centennial crowns I purchased from great lakes hops. Planted them in May. Not sure if I planted them to late or what happened, but they haven't hardly grown.

I have a centennial and williamette that are basically the same. I found that I didn't open the drain plug in teh barrels before I planted them, and I suspect they had some root rot.

When I finally got around to just drilling a bunch of holes in the bottom of the barrels, this nasty, disgusting, poo-vomit-brown-goo water came pouring out. Got in my drill too, now it stinks to high heaven. Anyway that couldn't have been good for the hops - but now they're growing pretty well.

TL;DR - Check soil drainage is adequate.

Not too good of a year with all the wild weather earlier. The Redvine in the background is a perennial "I don't care what the weather throws at me" hop and manages to bend the pole every year. The Chinooks are a very close second although the vines on the #1 pole were destroyed by some sort of boring insect. There's still probably a good 6-8 ounces on the #2 pole.

Hop Garden.jpg

Chinooks close.jpg

Chinook, CTZ, finished training, Cascade nearly finished, Centennial just starting to train. The Cascade and CTZ were a huge tangled mess.

ForumRunner_20120815_221621.jpg

Here are some pics from tonight of 2nd year willamette and cascade balcony hops. There are hundreds and hundreds of fully formed willamettes cones and probably a thousand cascade cones still growing. The lower leaves are all yellow and rotting which concerns me a bit. Hopefully it isn't something that will affect the cones and won't affect them next year.

Image0191.jpg

Image0192.jpg

The lower leaves are all yellow and rotting which concerns me a bit. Hopefully it isn't something that will affect the cones and won't affect them next year.

from what i've read, this is normal. the plant naturally starts to lose lower leaves, in favor of pumping nutrients to the upper leaves and cones.

A little late to the party but here are some pics of my Cascades. Built a 7ft Trellis and trained them sideways once they reached the top. All 1st year and looking good!

DSC_0772.jpg

DSC_0774.jpg

DSC_0777.jpg

Harvested 2nd year Cascade yesterday. My 3 little ones helped gladly by picking off of the bine - many hands make light work. The yield was 16 ounces wet, they are drying now so it will be interesting to see how many ounces dry.

image-2199048878.jpg

image-1987998332.jpg

image-1375011616.jpg

image-3108404474.jpg

image-2757304022.jpg

Back