Hops & Mesh Bags

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BernaBrew

Reaction score
Hi guys looking for a little help - I am going to brew my second batch of beer this weekend and I have one question on the recipe. The kit calls for adding some aroma hops in the last minute of the boil. The question is, do I leave it in for only the last minute of the boil and then take it out with all the other hops in their mesh bags? Or do I leave it in while I chill the wort as well? I appreciate all the help. I am a first time poster, but long time lurker.

I leave them in while its chilling, at least for part of the chill. I know some people kill the heat and let it steep for a bit before starting the chill. I've found that the hops in the sack retain quite a bit of heat which affects how fast I can chill my batch. I prefer to not use a hop sack because of this.

I just throw 'em in, let 'em steep while I cool it down and then strain it out as I add to the fermenter.

Welcome to the hobby and the board.

Cheers!

Back