Wyeast 3789-PC.. anyone use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you planning on a 7 - 14 day primary then a year in secondary?

You will want to use glass for the secondary to keep the oxygen out during the long period, and you will want to use either glass or throw away plastic for the primary.

I have an Orval clone that I used the dregs from a few bottles for the brett. It sat at about 1.018 since October in my 60F basement with little activity. Two weeks ago I moved it to a fermentation chamber and increased temp to about 77F. The brett has taken off, it has big bretty looking bubbles on top and gravity is down to 1.011. I do not know how low it will go but I do not plan on bottling until this fall.

Are you planning on a 7 - 14 day primary then a year in secondary?

You will want to use glass for the secondary to keep the oxygen out during the long period, and you will want to use either glass or throw away plastic for the primary.

I have an Orval clone that I used the dregs from a few bottles for the brett. It sat at about 1.018 since October in my 60F basement with little activity. Two weeks ago I moved it to a fermentation chamber and increased temp to about 77F. The brett has taken off, it has big bretty looking bubbles on top and gravity is down to 1.011. I do not know how low it will go but I do not plan on bottling until this fall.

I'd bottle in champagne bottles now and let the brett do the rest of it's job in the bottle.

I'd bottle in champagne bottles now and let the brett do the rest of it's job in the bottle.

That is kind of scary not knowing how low brett will take it. If champagne bottles can take 6 atmospheres or about a 0.010 gravity drop, a final gravity of 1.000 would be explosive.

I doubt you'll get that low and it's not a serious danger I doubt. Champagne bottles can take more than 6 volumes (I think closer to 9) but if you grab Brew Like a Monk there is a Orval inspired beer. The guy bottles at 1.009 and it finishes at 1.006 in the bottle. I have plans to brew a Orval inspired beer in May/June whenever I can get the WLP510. I have Orval sediment saved up that I've been feeding with MD and DME. My plan is to bottle with the necessary gravity left and dose it with brett a week before bottling.

I just bottled an orval clone - based on Jamil's brewing classic style recipe. Check out my post describing fermentation using 3789:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/wyeast-3789pc-experiences-231533/

I strongly recommend using a blow off or a large vessle - it took off like crazy. The orval clone sat in secondary for a month before bottling. I noticed some funk at bottling, but not a whole lot as expected after only month. I imagine the hop aroma will take a back seat to the brett over time. Hopefully some bottles can be put aside and forgotten for awhile....

I had similar fermentation results for a belgian/wild stout (OG 1072) using a starter and the washed yeast. It went like gangbusters within hours and slowed after a few days. 10 days later (today) - the kreusen finally fell out and I'm about ready to move it into secondary onto some oak for a few months...

Attenaution has been close to 80% for both brews.

Nothing out of the ordinary yet...although these are my first two brett brews.

Back