Pasteurization

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markcubed

Reaction score
Just curious, but does any of you expert brewers pasteurize your beer?

Can homebrews get so infected to make you sick?

Thanks much

I don't believe there is anything that infects your beer that could get you sick like food poisoning.

You could pasteurize by UV light, sterilization filtering. We boil which kills everything in the wort.

No pathogens harmful to us can grow in beer or wine. It might taste bad or look bad but other than yeast farts, you're not going to get sick. :D

If you are really concerned about it, get a plate filter. You can get filters that will filter your beer to the point of "sterile".

It's doubtful that something that will make you seriously ill will be palatable enough to drink. I've had one bactch that tasted ok, even after one beer It was off to the races... and by races I mean toilet. Only batch I've ever dumped in almost 20 years.

I belive commercial beer is pasturized after it has been bottled or canned. Overall it's not practical or necessary for the homebrewer.

Back