anyone ever oxidize your beer but it still tasted great?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjzelectric

Reaction score
pretty sure i oxidized my ipa yesterday when bottling. i was using my autosiphon to rack to bottling bucket and somehow i had to keep pumping it to restart the flow every couple mins. a lot of air bubbles made it in to my beer and i was just hoping that others have done this before with no ill effects. please tell me your brew came out fine...

I've never had any problems, and I have really aerated a few beers w/ no ill effect.

More than likely pumping the heck out of your beer DIDN'T over oxygenate it.....

It takes a lot of splashing and other things to do any damage to our beer, someone on basic brewing years ago, (Palmer, or Chris Colby of BYO) said that in order to truly provide enough O2 to oxydize our beers it would take pumping and entire one of our red oxygen bottle/airstones into our beer AFTER fermentation is complete.

Most of the splashing intentional or accidental that we do in the course of our brewing will not harm it...Including pumping with your auto siphon...

So I wouldn't worry.

I know I've done it on numerous occasions...in fact if you look at this thread, especially my initial post in it, I mention that I've done it, to no detrimental effect...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/wh...where-your-beer-still-turned-out-great-96780/

And beside Oxygenation damage isn't immediate anyway, most of us would have our beer drunk long before it would happen.

So I would just relax it is much hardier that you think it is.

One of my first few batches, years ago, was a honey wheat ale. I got absent-minded and splashed the hell out of it on purpose on its way into the bottling bucket. About halfway through that operation it dawned on me that this was only supposed to happen on the way into the fermenter.

It turned out horrible. But only because the recipe sucked; it didn't taste oxidized.

I left several bottles in the back of the fridge for almost three years, then popped one open and it was really good!

I've never experienced any off flavors from unintentional aeration. I think most issues over aeration ( be it hot side or post ferment), they are more concerns for breweries. I don't think much of any of these concerns are for home brewers.

Oxygenation is not oxidation. Oxygenation is adding O2 to something. Oxidation is a chemical process in which an electron is lost. Rusting iron or the browning of a cut apple is oxidation the result of oxidation.

Yes, oxygen is a great oxidizing agent, but it won't do it alone and won't do it instantly. If you leave warm, oxygenated beer in the sun, it'll oxidize.

As with the others, I think you'll be fine. The yeast that is active in bottling will consume some of the oxygen you introduced.

From How to Brew:

Oxidation is probably the most common problem with beer including commercial beers. If the wort is exposed to oxygen at temperatures above 80°F, the beer will sooner or later develop wet cardboard or sherry-like flavors, depending on which compounds were oxidized. See the discussion of oxygen and the wort in Chapter 6 - Yeast.

Oxidation is a big problem for beers which are bottled from forced CO2. It isn't a problem for bottle conditioned beers because the yeast will metabolize the available oxygen before fermenting the priming sugar (assuming there are enough healthy yeast and enough food/nutrients for them to grow in the bottle -- ie. you aren't bottle conditioning hooch ;)).

I did a tasting at Avery brewing a couple months ago of a flight of the Beast (grand cru) from three years in a row that were aged in barrels. The brewers said the oldest was very oxidized bc it was the first time they had put beer in barrels and totally weren't careful. Frankly, I thought the sherry flavors in the oxidized one were great, and mellowed out a really high alcohol beer I can't usually drink...they were not surprised, a lot of people actually like the oxidized flavors...So, drink your beer and enjoy, it will be fine.

Back