Can not get beer to clear

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ramsbottom_Brewer

Reaction score
Long story short... my beer will not clear. Have a look here at a glass full. I've got the beer in a plastic keg in my kitchen.

I think the reason may be that the aging temp is just too high. The location the Keg's in is about 20C.

I've got some ideas having done some searching here but could do with your views on the following:

1. If I got the temp down (with ice packs and the like) and cleared the beer would it become cloudy again if the temp went back up to 20C?

2. If I got the temp down but caused chill haze, would that effect the taste?

3. If I just leave it at the temp it's at, would it clear eventually?

4. Other than the way it looks, should I bother with clearing?

5. I am gonna bottle my next batch and leave different bottles in different locations and see what happens. Does that sound like a plan?

Thanks all...

Here is my take on it.

1. No, just don't shake it up.
2. No, and if you left it cold the chill haze will go away also.
3. Yes, but could still get chill haze when cooled. Could take months though.
4. Not unless you really care about it.
5. Sounds like a worthy experiment to see what works best for you.

I have found that if you leave beer conditioning long enough, even the most stubborn beer will clear. If you cold crash it for a couple weeks, you can clear it and get rid of chill haze.

All, thanks for the advice. I am using a pre-hopped extract bitter that should clear. I've put my keg in an ice bath for the night. I'll keep re-freshing the ice for a couple of days and see what happens. That glass of pale ale looks sweet. Good to see us brits have something to export that beats an iPod hands down!

Simple solution to your "won't clear," blues.

Step 1: Drink the beer
Step 2: Make sure you have working kidneys
Step 3: Release the beer. If you drink enough of it, it should come out very clear with just a tad bit of yellowish color.

Unless you're entering your brew into contests, and assuming it tastes great, don't sweat it. I went a little bonkers trying to brew a crystal clear beer. I tried everything in the book: high flocc yeast (US-05 and WLP 001), Irish Moss, and what I thought would be the clincher, a homemade 33' copper immersion chiller. I thought that by getting my wort from 212F down to 70F in 9 minutes would cure the chill haze. It is clearer, but not super clear. F*ck it! It tastes great!

In the end I put the keg in a big plastic bucket and filled it with ice and water. I replaced the ice when it melted. After about 24 hours the beer was still cloudy but tasted much better.

Thanks

Back