Making CO2 for kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewvy

Reaction score
I want to link 2 cornys for force carbonation of 5 gal of beer.If I have 5gal beer, and 5 gal water, it's safe to assume that I would need twice as much cornsugar, for proper carbonation.So I got one corny with 1 1/2 cup cornsugar and five gallons water and some yeast,linked up with one with 5 gal of beer in it.Assuming no pressure leaks,is this going to work? Will I get the desired carbonation? Should both cornys be the same temp or could I carbonate the 5gal beer in a fridge? For dispensing I was thinking I could have a corny with high pressure(max pressure) with a valve linked to the carbonated beer.I would put a relief valve on the corny of course.

I think there is a valve in the system that only allows the air pressure to travel one way, the poppit valve. I am quite sure you'll need a CO2 bottle to dispense.

FWIW, I've never had to hit my kegs with pressure to seat the o-ring. When I fill a keg, I purge the headspace with co2 but that is at typical serving pressure and just to remove oxygen. Keg lube as mentioned above is what is key as well as good o-rings and kegs and lids.

For the OP, I'm not understanding what you are trying to achieve. If it is to reduce yeast sediment in the keg with the beer, the first pint or three will get rid of that. In theory I suppose it would carb the beer, but if I understand correctly, you hope to use the keg with the water to dispense the beer. This part isn't going to work.

I want to link 2 cornys for force carbonation of 5 gal of beer.If I have 5gal beer, and 5 gal water, it's safe to assume that I would need twice as much cornsugar, for proper carbonation.So I got one corny with 1 1/2 cup cornsugar and five gallons water and some yeast,linked up with one with 5 gal of beer in it.Assuming no pressure leaks,is this going to work? Will I get the desired carbonation? Should both cornys be the same temp or could I carbonate the 5gal beer in a fridge? For dispensing I was thinking I could have a corny with high pressure(max pressure) with a valve linked to the carbonated beer.I would put a relief valve on the corny of course.

Purging the air out of hte headspace is quite important I think.
I don't see how this ingenuitive(sp) approach would accomplish that.

:mug:
Eisendrath

Back