Oxygen for airation/can I use industrial oxygen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can use the stuff from a welding supplier; it will work fine. You can also use just plain air. I consistently get great results without all the fancy O2 stuff. I have an O2 kit, but I rarely use it since I found that increasing my pitching rate vastly improves my beer, regardless of aeration method.

IF you are really concerned about the industrial oxygen, you can use a hepa filter that is available from a number of online homebrew stores.

Most of the kits, and many of us use;

070042624052md.jpg

8 bucks at your hardware store....

Most of the kits, and many of us use;

070042624052md.jpg

8 bucks at your hardware store....

How many batches does one of those cylinders do?

I am considering an aquarium air pump, but so far I am getting good results just using a whisk and whipping the wort into a froth.

I have even thought of using an electric mixer...

I think I get about 1/2 doz or so batches from one of those cylinders. WEll now that I aerate it for 2-4 minutes instead of 10...lol

I got about a dozen batches of 2 minute bursts out of mine...don't know why zman got so less...

Also it looks like bernzoamatic is now coming out with larger cans as well.

Is there a link to show how to hook up one of those O2 cylinders for aeration? I would imagine you don't just hook it up to a hose.

When I last had my O2 tank filled at an AirGas location, the guy said that the only difference between "medical" and "industrial" grade O2 is the cylinder its kept in. All of their O2 is kept in the same bulk storage tank that is up to medical standards, its up to the consumer whether it gets down graded from their.

This is the setup I use, except I mounted the stone on the end of a cut off piece of racking can, so it doesn't floar to the top and I can easily stick in it carboys.

EconoOxy.jpg

I have the same setup sans the racking cane but that is a good idea Rev.

Some people sell it with a tube.

What I did with mine was to cut off the last 1.5 inces of the hose where the airstone is and hook that up to the racking cane.

I also break it apart at the hepa filter for storage.

When I last had my O2 tank filled at an AirGas location, the guy said that the only difference between "medical" and "industrial" grade O2 is the cylinder its kept in. All of their O2 is kept in the same bulk storage tank that is up to medical standards, its up to the consumer whether it gets down graded from their.

I've heard that Medical grade stuff has some % water too- so that it does not dry ones throat out.

I used mine today, and only did 30 seconds- not several min like everyone is talking about- and my starting of is 1.080- I wonder if I under did it!

I've heard that Medical grade stuff has some % water too- so that it does not dry ones throat out.

I used mine today, and only did 30 seconds- not several min like everyone is talking about- and my starting of is 1.080- I wonder if I under did it!

I'm sure it will be fine...though from listening to podcasts from Chris Whyte of Whytelabs, they talk about 2 minutes with an o2 tank..

But if your were worried, you could still hit it with 2 minutes of O2 up til 12 hours after pitching yeast....He talked about giving beers above 1.070 a second blast around the 11 hour mark to feed them some more.

I found a medical oxygen cylinder with valve, regulator and more oxygen left in it than the red bottle, for $10. Talked to a welding shop who said they could fill it with aviation oxygen.

If I'm using a large kitchen wisk on a power drill at 2000 RPM, is 30 seconds once a day just about close to enough?

If I'm using a large kitchen wisk on a power drill at 2000 RPM, is 30 seconds once a day just about close to enough?

Just once before you add the yeast. After fermentations gets going you do not need to aerate again.

Back