Converting an old CO2 Fire Extinguisher?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ESPY

Reaction score
The place where I work is decomissioning some buildings and there's a CO2 fire extinguisher that looks like it's equivalent to about a typical 5-lb cylinder. Of course, the top has the pin, handle/trigger, and nozzle attached to it. But I'm wondering how difficult it would be to convert this to use for a kegging system. Is it even possible?

Check the top of the tank for a hydro date. It has to have been hydrostat tested within the last 5 years. If it is in date it wouldn't hurt to have it opened for a visual inspection. some places won't fill them even then. If you have ever seen the aftermath of a tank exploding you will understand why.

smorris said:
Check the top of the tank for a hydro date. It has to have been hydrostat tested within the last 5 years. If it is in date it wouldn't hurt to have it opened for a visual inspection. some places won't fill them even then. If you have ever seen the aftermath of a tank exploding you will understand why.

It is a recently certified unit that was still "in use" until a couple months ago when we shut down our plant. Does that matter? Or is it still likely that some places wouldn't refill it? I mean, if it was still intended for use as a fire extinguisher then somebody would fill it, right?

I'm not sure where to find a replacement top for it that would have a standard shut-off valve instead of the pin/trigger top. Or if that's even possible. Obviously, the pressure would have to be bled off first. Is there any way to do this without spraying it all over the place? It all sounds a bit risky. I'm probably just better off spending the $$ on a new/used tank.

The best way to bleed off a fire extinguisher is to:
1. Go outside, put on goggles and spray a bunch of stuff. OR
2. Go outside, put on goggles and shoot it with a medium-sized firearm.

I don't think it would be much use for kegging after using either method, but that is not to say you shouldn't try it anyway.

Back