What's your infection count so far?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How many infections so far?

• 1-3

• 4-7

• 8-10

• Every time (Brett!)

Results are only viewable after voting.
3 infections (well, 2.5 because with one of them, I actually drank about half the batch before the bacteria decided to wake up). All of them tasted great at bottling time, but ended sour, dry and gushy. I have impeccable sanitation practices, but obviously, something decided to attack my beer in the bottling bucket. Oh well.

I'm surprised nobody's above 3. I know its relative to how many batches you've done. I just though there'd be some higher votes...

I think I am just lucky. (Stay with me) I started with a Mr Beer kit that my wife gave me, which has instructions that would raise many an eyebrow on this forum.
No air lock, water straight from the tap into the fermenter, etc.

That batch worked fine and I used similar techniques on my first few real batches. Some of them have stuck.

I have never sanitized bottles(I put them in the dishwasher)
I put tap water in my batches to top up if needed
I only use no rinse sanitizer in my carboy and siphon
And I have never had an infection in 20 batches or so.

I think I am lucky that my wife and I just keep the house pretty sanitary and that our tap water is safe and tastes good. Also we must not have too many nasties just floating around in the air. If anyone deserves an infected batch it is probably me!

Just one for me. I didn't properly supervise a helper who cleaned the bottling bucket after a bottling session. I assumed it was properly cleaned when I used it next time but it had an infection in the spigot that didn't get cleaned and it messed up a batch. From that point on I always disassemble my spigot and keep it separate from the bucket during storage and to make sure all surfaces are cleaned.

Knock on wood, I've only had a single bottle go south on me so far. Must have missed some crud in the bottom. Bummer to, it was the last bottle of a realy nice pale ale.:(

Portions of one batch way back in '93 or '94. The thing is it wasn't even a beer I wanted to brew, but a "Mexican Cerveza" I brewed for a friend. Maybe I wasn't as careful with it since it wasn't something I wanted to even do.

0 for over 400. Now I have had one that came out undrinkable, but I think that was my fault with the recipe.

My last one I thought was infected (strong smell weird alcohol taste) but I took it to the LHBS and they smelled it and said it got too hot and it went fusel. I never saw mold or anything that looked bad but the smell was pretty off.

Only one. It was also the second beer in my only 2 brew day. I imagine I got lazy... plus it was only like my 3rd or 4th batch about 2 years ago.

I picked "1" to appease the beer gods.

And I'm hoisting a Stone IPA as a sacrifice to their goodwill.

But I'm on batch #49, and none have been infected (knock, knock).

The "1" I claimed was a yeast harvest that grew a skin of mold, though. Poured almost a liter of thick slurry down the drain. Thought (briefly) about skimming the mold and using it anyway, but decided it wasn't worth the risk. (Was just WLP001, easily replaced)

I have recently had a chronic infection problem at my taps. Beer is perfect all the way through and after fermentation. Once I get it on tap, I can taste the change in 5 days. Couple days after that I can't stomach it any more and dump it. Past 4 batches have been this way.

Recently I tore out all my lines, took apart my Perlicks, cleaned everything, kegs, , even my gas line. Put a beer on tap last week and sure enough 5 days later I have an infected beer. I am getting so despondent - I don't wanna quit brewing but this is just kicking my ass...

EDIT: omg this is a serious zombie thread... wtf was I thinking responding to a thread from a search result. LOL

omg this is a serious zombie thread... wtf was I thinking responding to a thread from a search result. LOL

I'm glad you caught that. Almost 8 years is a serious zombie thread. hahahahaha

Back