Critique my first SMaSH recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sirmichael

Reaction score
9.5 lbs Maris Otter
.75 oz Centennial 60 mins
.5 oz Centennial 15 mins
.5 oz Centennial 10 mins
.5 oz Centennial 5 mins
1 oz Centennial dry hop 7 days
1 tsp Irish moss 15 mins

Safale-05

OG - 1.053
FG - 1.012
ABV - 5.4%
IBU - 43

Should be good. I would add slightly more late hops and dryhops and base malt, but that's me. A simple 60/10/0/DH schedule.

What are your specific goals? What are you striving for with this recipe.

What is the IBU% on this beer? It is going to strongly be hop forward so a look at the IBU/OG Ratio might give you an idea of how much back bone you will need. The higher the % the more it leans towards Hops and the converse is true for the lower end, more malty. M.O. is a nice "meaty" malt but upping it to 10.5# or 11# with that many hops may do you well. Other than that, and truely your beer so do with it what you want, good luck. You will enjoy the concept of SMaSH brewing.

So your IBU/OG Ratio is .811. That seems to be a good level for the IPA you are going for, I assume, West Coast IPA? Looks good. Have fun and I am sure your brew will be fantastic. RDWHAHB!!!

Let us know how it turns out!!

I'm shooting for a nice clean IPA that will also be my first all grain. I love hoppy beer and just recently did an extract with speciality grains IPA that is 7.3% and 73 IBU. I want this to less intense than that batch. Not that there's anything wrong with a sweet resiny IIPA

Back