Hops Group Buy in Chicago #1

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there really only one North American hop season per year? Don't we have some time to get it figured out?

bmason1623 said:
We should probably start discussing contract options in greater detail now that this current buy is starting to wind down.

I definitely agree. I apologize I forgot to print those t&c's, I will do it in the morning. We should possibly in a private group discuss things like variety interest, payment option, quantities, contract obligations etc.

sudsmcgee said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there really only one North American hop season per year? Don't we have some time to get it figured out?

You are right, but the contracts on some varieties are not avail until 2013-14. So like any commodity its a gamble, but the contract is an attempt to limit price volatility and guarantee a certain qty for a speculated crop production. We have time, yes.

I still have 4-5 lines of communication open with various leaf suppliers for possibly the next buy.

brewingmeister said:
I'd be interested in getting in on that. When were you planning on that buy happening?

The next hop buy, sorry if that was confusing. I was trying to coordinate these suppliers to coincide with the current buy, but just didn't get very expedient return calls.

For those who who have not paid yet please do so promptly. The order has been paid already out of my own pocket so to speak. I usually wait for everyone to pay me buy I wanted to get this order in before more hops became out of stock. Pay for the value of the hops then we will figure out the shipping costs.

Contracts are great for those popular imported hops like nelson sauvin

Question for the group buyers: do people want to pitch in a little extra money to purchase a roll of food saver vacuum seal bags for the packaging of hops?

Sure as long as you are adding shipping costs just add roll costs. Shouldn't come out of your pocket.

dbrewski said:
Sure as long as you are adding shipping costs just add roll costs. Shouldn't come out of your pocket.

That's what I meant. This way everyone's hops are properly packaged for long term storage.

Yes please, a little extra for bags and roll it into my shipping costs. Thank you!

Question for the group buyers: do people want to pitch in a little extra money to purchase a roll of food saver vacuum seal bags for the packaging of hops?

Sounds good, just tell me how much. If you have any extra hops, let me know, I'll take em..

bmason1623 said:

Yes. Please add to shipping.

Ok. Shipping costs are approximately $0.63 per pound. Once the bag costs are calculated I'll let everyone know and add it to the spreadsheet.

Yes add the cost of bagging the hops. I would also suggest that you purchase a twelve pack of beer so the team weighing out the hops doesn't get thirsty. Add that to the cost allocation.

Mark

Great work, again, everyone involved! If anyone had to pick up extra Magnum, Hallertau, or Styrian Goldings to make it work for the group, I'd be interested in a little of any of these.

Anyone interested in a group buy on sixtel kegs? I've had it with my 20 pin locks and it's worth the premium price to have something that just works. Looks like about $100-110 per keg delivered and there are various sizes available besides the standard 1/6 bbl size. Type D sanke connectors FTW!

Let's be mindful of hbt rules and remember that hbt group buys are for ingredients only. Thanks.

I've had it with my 20 pin locks and it's worth the premium price to have something that just works.

If you're looking to unload some of your pin locks, I just started kegging and only have one...plus I'm a grad student and can't afford the premium price to go with anything better. Would love to buy some from you if you're migrating away from them. PM me if you're interested!

If you're looking to unload some of your pin locks, I just started kegging and only have one...plus I'm a grad student and can't afford the premium price to go with anything better. Would love to buy some from you if you're migrating away from them. PM me if you're interested!

Well, I'm not able to do that until I have a replacement in the pipeline. :drunk: And for the price of the sixtels, I can't afford to GIVE them away. hehe.

Let's be mindful of hbt rules and remember that hbt group buys are for ingredients only. Thanks.

Very good. Do you happen to have an e-mail list of all previous buy participants in the area? You know, just in case we need to do an ingredient buy when the HBT servers are down?

Very good. Do you happen to have an e-mail list of all previous buy participants in the area? You know, just in case we need to do an ingredient buy when the HBT servers are down?

yes. We (Chicago Home Brewers) have our own private "playground" within google groups that we can use. By the way, I can get us brand new 1/6 BBLs. If that is something anyone is interested in pursuing let me know via email.

...By the way, I can get us brand new 1/6 BBLs. If that is something anyone is interested in pursuing let me know via email.

Approximate price? That will determine if I'm interested or not.

ok, final pricing has been updated. please remit the amount in red fonts inside the yellow column. Some of you I owe money to. I will either paypal you or give you cash when you pick up.

The average price with shipping and packaging for this buy was $9.11/Lb. We did good. Special thanks to ghoti and Neopol for all of their help in running this.

I just noticed that I messed up on the price of Columbus. I will reimburse everyone later on tonight. We are not talking much money, under $10 for most Sorry, looking at that spreadsheet makes me loopy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back