Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"I don't drink" said an hour ago by my neighbors date who visited my house. Then she sampled the pale ale he was drinking and made a face. I passed her a Octoberfest which she was quick to kill. Hmmm... should I comment on how full of crap she is, or just that I am awesome and can find the proper beer for someone in my ilbeit limited selection?

For a lot of people "I don't drink" is a way to avoid trying something they've heard bad things about (homebrewed beer) without seeming like she's putting you down. Once she tried it and found it was actually good, things were different. I've pulled "I'm vegetarian" when someone offered me some really horribly cooked BBQ and I just didn't want to choke it down and pretend it's good. "I have a nut allergy" also works for things like fruitcake. :D

Not really something over heard but,
A guy I work with is starting to try other beers then his usual Bud.
If it's black it " tastes like a Guiness."
If it's brown it "tastes like a Newcastle"
If it's amber/red it "tastes like a Killians"
I do give him credit for trying something else besides his two favorite beers.
Which he has told countless times are "cold and free, ha ha ha"

I don't really give a fook whether she has the personality of an animal cracker..... I can make allowances!

Having the personality of an animal cracker would be an improvement over some of the women I've tangled with. I learned early the first rule of survival: 'never go to bed with anyone crazier than yourself.'

The problem is that had I followed it, I'd have spent a good part of my life celibate. :D

Just talked to a guy that says his girlfriend is starting to drink Grain Belt Noreast? He says it is good for a dark beer because it doesn't have the charcoal taste that most dark beers have.

Reggie22 said:
Just talked to a guy that says his girlfriend is starting to drink Grain Belt Noreast? He says it is good for a dark beer because it doesn't have the charcoal taste that most dark beers have.

I have a friend that said the same thing about Black Racer! He also liked that he didn't have to chew it like Guinness. Doh!

troy2000 said:
Having the personality of an animal cracker would be an improvement over some of the women I've tangled with. I learned early the first rule of survival: 'never go to bed with anyone crazier than yourself.'

The problem is that had I followed it, I'd have spent a good part of my life celibate. :D

Most important lesson dad ever thought me. Wish I would have listened a couple of time

Most important lesson dad ever thought me. Wish I would have listened a couple of time
I still remember a couple of other things my dad told me:

"When you start having sex, you'll discover it isn't nearly as good as you thought it was going to be. But you're going to like it even more than you thought you would."

"If you're getting tired of the same old stuff, try doing without it for a few weeks. You'll be amazed at how good it gets..."

A good one I've always remembered from my dad was "You don't get to call in sick if it was self inflicted."

I live by this, If I'm stupid enough to get that Fooked up, pay the price. I'm sure I've had days they would have been better off if I stayed home but i't a reminder not to be stupid.

Yeah, it's all fun and games, until you meet Crazy Stalker Girl.

Overly-attached-girlfriend-screenshot-via-YouTube.jpg

Yeah, there's SWMBO, and then Crazy Stalker Girl, SWMBOOSWHITBOYHAHYF.

(She Who Must Be Obeyed Or She Will Hide In The Bush Outside Your House And Haunt You Forever).

I didn't overhear this, but a co-worker told me over lunch this week "I don't like beers with malt in them. They're too sweet...something dark and burnt is good. Do you ever burn your beer?"

Turns out, she was asking if I made dry stout.

Yeah, there's SWMBO, and then Crazy Stalker Girl, SWMBOOSWHITBOYHAHYF.

(She Who Must Be Obeyed Or She Will Hide In The Bush Outside Your House And Haunt You Forever).

I didn't overhear this, but a co-worker told me over lunch this week "I don't like beers with malt in them. They're too sweet...something dark and burnt is good. Do you ever burn your beer?"

Turns out, she was asking if I made dry stout.

Beer without malt in, a new challenge...

I think the funniest thing I have heard was "my (insert crappy miller product here) went skunky" Despite the fact that it is in a can, and there are no compounds in that beer that can cause that particular defect.

I think the funniest thing I have heard was "my (insert crappy miller product here) went skunky" Despite the fact that it is in a can, and there are no compounds in that beer that can cause that particular defect.
My Bud Light swilling neighbor calls any beer with hop character "skunky"

My Bud Light swilling neighbor calls any beer with hop character "skunky"

that's funny! my pet skunk calls my APA's "ME". :rockin:

NuclearRich said:
yeah thats malted. just not with gluten products. sorghum and such

Well actually ... there are a bunch of BMC GF beers that use unmalted sorghum. This is why they suck. New Grist uses malted sorghum And it's actually pretty good. The natural twang goes well in summer.

Mom's no-gluten, so I drank all the "bad" beers they tried when I was visiting over the summer. Curse you Untapped and your incessant need for logging new beers.

This might be a stupid question, but why can't you make gluten free beer with barley again? Wheat is the only grain that contains gluten...

Today while buying 2013 Utopias:

Girl at counter: Whoa, $200?!
Me: Yes.
Girl: How many are in there? (points to box).
Me: Just one.
Girl: (silence and dumbfounded look).

Can't say I blame her. It was pretty rough handing over $200 on one bottle. I know it is a different animal but it was still tough after driving three hours to buy it.

While certainly not in the same price range or as exclusive, I wanted to try Brewdog's Tokyo when it was introduced here in Sweden. While as awesome as the state-owned store is, where you can more or less buy anything, sometimes there are limits.

You had to buy six of them, which at the time was 90 USD (a wee bit less expensive now). While I do have beer loving friends, none were willing to split the order. Now you can buy just one if you wanted to.

When I was paying the cashier said: "Damn, that's one expensive beer. Is it worth it?"
Me:"It damn well better be, but I have no friggin' idea!"

And it was worth it, it was hard not to drink them but the five I kept (gave away one) laster about a year. Still my favorite beer.

Also in retrospect, it was a weird buy. I had previously never had a good Brewdog beer (their Punk IPA or whatever it's called is just awful, IMHO), and I was still fairly new to craft beer goodness. Also not exactly rich.

While certainly not in the same price range or as exclusive, I wanted to try Brewdog's Tokyo when it was introduced here in Sweden. While as awesome as the state-owned store is, where you can more or less buy anything, sometimes there are limits.

You had to buy six of them, which at the time was 90 USD (a wee bit less expensive now). While I do have beer loving friends, none were willing to split the order. Now you can buy just one if you wanted to.

When I was paying the cashier said: "Damn, that's one expensive beer. Is it worth it?"
Me:"It damn well better be, but I have no friggin' idea!"

And it was worth it, it was hard not to drink them but the five I kept (gave away one) laster about a year. Still my favorite beer.

Also in retrospect, it was a weird buy. I had previously never had a good Brewdog beer (their Punk IPA or whatever it's called is just awful, IMHO), and I was still fairly new to craft beer goodness. Also not exactly rich.

I like the Punk IPA, it's been a while since I've had it but I dont remember anything negative about it.

A few months ago I had a big party at the house and everyone was putting their beer in my beer fridge, at some point someone showed up and was told to grab a beer and they opened up a 1000 IBU Mikeller I wasnt planning on drinking yet... I heard them complaining about their beer and when I looked over I saw them drinking from the bottle. One of my beer geek friends explained what they were drinking and the cost to them and they couldnt wrap their head around how one beer could cost that much. I had to shrug it off. The next time the guy came around he brought me $30 in bombers because he felt bad, I thought it was a pretty stand up gesture. As revenge/a nice gesture I've been slowly introducing him into the craft beer hobby.

Back