Pruning/Training Hop Vine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turfguy1969

Reaction score
I have new rhizomes in the ground and most of them have put out many side shoots. My instinct says to let as much grow as possible to get good energy production with more leaves. I believe somewhere here I read that all but a single runner should be pruned out. Anyone have any input?

Pick the two or three longest runners and start training them. Cut back everything else and keep it cut back until late August. Having a bunch of shoots near the ground is an invitation for mildew.

I was just listening to a pod cast with Dave Wills (Freshops) who recommends letting all the shoots grow the first season and then afterward pick 5-6 of the most vigorous shoots thereafter. Alot does depend on how you are trellising them and what your goals are.

Got Trub? said:
I was just listening to a pod cast with Dave Wills (Freshops) who recommends letting all the shoots grow the first season and then afterward pick 5-6 of the most vigorous shoots thereafter. Alot does depend on how you are trellising them and what your goals are.

this is what i have done, since it is my first year. i have a couple varieties that are growing like Schwarzen-hops! i have not cut the first shoot because i am trying to establish a solid root base. Let 'em grow! next year i will try to be more selective.
i put five varieties in the ground this year: Cascade, Willamette, Galena, Nuggett, and Hallertauer. Everything came up except the Cascade. next year i will purchase a Jumbo rizome of Cascade.

turfguy1969 said:
how do you tell when the flowers are mature for picking?

Just finished the podcast with Dave Wills. He states it takes some practice and recommended harvesting over time to get a feel for when they are really ripe. The cones should become papery and even have a tinge of brown unless they are in a windy location. They should also become brittle when you bend them and if you open them up there should be plump clusters of lupulin. In terms of storage he recommended just air drying in a non-sunny location or use a food dehydrator if you have one and store in ziplocks with the air crushed out and in your deep freeze.

Heres a link to the podcast: http://www.basicbrewing.com/index.php?page=60

Its the "growing Hops at Home" episode April 6th

Back