Siphon difficulty

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewBoy19

Reaction score
So, I have a counter flow chiller (homemade). I have never had a problem using it, but I was being stupid and lazy and using a plastic racking cane to transfer the hot wort through the counter flow and into my carboys. My racking cane obviously would get too hot and warp and bend lol. So I went and got a stainless steel racking cane. The problem is I can never get a siphon started with it. I've tried several times and the only way I can get a siphon going is sucking on it. Is this a common problem with the stainless racking canes due to a different angle or something? I never had a problem siphoning until getting this ss cane.

For god's sake you're suck-siphoning boiling wort?? ouch!

I'd put off your next brewday until you can put in a valve on that kettle. That would help you alot more than a stainless racking cane. Keep that for siphoning out of carboys. Either that or put a big funnel on your counterflow-chiller and just pour in the wort! haha

Seriously though, not meaning to be mean, I've had to do similar things, but you really need that valve.

Problem is I have a giant aluminum 20 gallon pot. I asked some people who weld and they said they had no idea how to weld ss to aluminum. That's why I don't have one. I didn't suck hot wort lol. I tried it inside with water.

I've primed it still won't work a little comes out then it quickly stops. I've done many brews before and never had a problem till I got the stainless cane.

I couldn't get it going out of my carboy either. I'm perplexed lol.

They make weld less ball valves.

As far as the siphon goes it should be no different then your plastic siphon. Clamp the hose tighter maybe.

Siphoning into a counterflow sounds like a drag. You COULD fill the coil and lead hose with starsan, cap the output, attach to the racking cane and let it rip.

A weldless ball valve will run you about $25, no welding required.

Sounds good guys great info. Would a march motor benefit me for the cost or no?

Yes. Very much. Unless there is a big height difference between your kettle and fermenter, you are going to have a hard time siphoning through the CFC. Get a pump, and make your life easier.

Back