Force carbing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xgarland77x

Reaction score
Beer is in the keg, regulator is cranked to 30....

If I turn the tank off should the keg stay at 30 lbs?

I am trying to figure out if the keg is leaking or if my regulator is..

It's a pin lock keg...

After reading a bit on here I looked over the keg and found a leak through the spout side so I plugged the spout in and I think that may have helped...

Does anyone know if that will help for the meantime...

Spray soapy water on the connections to look for bubbles.

Let the pressure out of the keg and unscrew the out fitting. Add lube to the o ring and poppet after taking them apart and cleaning them. May need a new poppet.

Was the leak coming out of the center hole of the post or at the bottom of the post? Foamy (shake up) star san sprayed with a spray bottle on the connections won't hurt. Try it with the tap unhooked and hooked if you want. If the leak is in the center, then you should be fine until you empty the keg. If out of the bottom, then you have to let the pressure out of the keg and dismantle the post.

Awesome, thank you much!! It is coming out of the center hole... So the simple fix is to keg lube, great!!

You do have to leave gas on the keg the whole time. Otherwise as the beer absorbs co2
and you have tank off, the pressure will drop to zero. (or to the ammount of co2 currently in beer)

RoadKing said:
You do have to leave gas on the keg the whole time. Otherwise as the beer absorbs co2
and you have tank off, the pressure will drop to zero. (or to the ammount of co2 currently in beer)

Thanks, I needed that clarification too... I'm very new, it's my first brew.

Actually you can leave the gas off once it hits equlibrium. Once the beer absorbs the ..30? psi and the tank is pressurized to 30, you can disconnect the gas and the beer will stay at 30 (assuming you don't drink it or increase the pressure).

So once the beer is carbonated can I disconnect the gas and it will stay that way? Of course turning the gas back on when serving.

So once the beer is carbonated can I disconnect the gas and it will stay that way? Of course turning the gas back on when serving.

Yep, so long as there is no leak the CO2 wont go anywhere. I usually put my empty kegs under pressure for as long as I store them. That way I can just pull up on the vent and see if the keg has held pressure or if it has started to leak.

Back