Adding Lactose?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckeyebrewer

Reaction score
I have a 5 gal batch of Cream Ale in my primary right now. The original recipe did not have lactose in it but I was wondering if adding lactose to it would be an OK idea. What does lactose do for the taste and mouth feel of the beer? I've never used it before but wanted to experiment with it. I appreciate the help...this site has been more than helpful already.

Lactose is fairly common in many cream style ales. It will add some body and sweetness to a beer. Since lactose is an unfermentable sugar, the yeast can't convert it over to alcohol.

It's up to you as to how much to use. A few (3-4) ounces in a 5g batch will make some difference. I've seen recipes use a cup or more.

Check out Cheesefood's Caramel Cream Ale. It has a bunch of Lactose in it and people review it. It'll give you some ideas. I think he adds it before bottling...

Back