Pranking my LHBS.. AKA bored at work

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtt121

Reaction score
So me and they guy who runs the LHBS are pretty friendly...

I decided to test his patience a bit with a hooch question... sent to his email:

To whom it may concern,

A friend of a friend mentioned that he buys beer brewing supplies from you. I live sort of local in Northfield. I have an old family recipe that I brew and it is delicious. Basically I get one of those 5 gallon spring water bottles and then fill it with sugar until it will not dissolve any more. Then I add the juice of some lemons and some mustard seed. I use active yeast from the grocer and shake it vigourously. Usually I let it sit for 2-3 weeks and then drink.. it is delicious.

My problem is I dont know if and when it is finished and I should drink it. I have a hygrometer but I dont like using it, I feel like I can not trust it. (it is just a floating tube with a rolled up peice of paper in it).

Everytime I make it tastes a little different. I think because I drink it too soon or too late.

I would like to get this to be a consistent brew as I would like to start taking it to some brewing competitions.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I will surely stop in and see your store.

Thanks in advance,​

IF he responds... ill post it up.

make sure to tell him that you always cover it with a paper towel, and keep the jug by the window for extra sunny flavor.

make sure to tell him that you always cover it with a paper towel, and keep the jug by the window for extra sunny flavor.

lol. There was so much non sense I could have sent. I didn't want to be tooo over the top. Usually hes quick to respond.. nothing yet.

FWIW, it is a hopless brew, that sunny flavor might just make it something extra special...

Love the comment about not trusting the "hygrometer" cause it's just a tube...

Unfortunately I got that one from a real post on a forum.. cant remember if it was HBT or not.

Oh, I'm pretty sure it was here at HBT. :D

Actually, I'm convinced that you have been reading my PMs and saw that "Tom" sent me a PM very similar to what you've posted.

But he ended it with asking me if I like blue grass music and if I was single!

Oh, I'm pretty sure it was here at HBT. :D

Actually, I'm convinced that you have been reading my PMs and saw that "Tom" sent me a PM very similar to what you've posted.

But he ended it with asking me if I like blue grass music and if I was single!

Wow.

Did you respond?

It was not me I promise. :cross:

Wow.

Did you respond?

It was not me I promise. :cross:

Of course I responded! But not by calling the phone number he sent also.

I sent back a PM telling him how to fix his "wine", said yes I like bluegrass in small doses, and mentioned that I was very happily married. And old enough to be his mother.

He replied back something like, "Oh, if you don't want to call me, can I have YOUR number to call you?"

I won't steal your thread much longer, but trust me. I've had some very, um, unusual PMs.

Alright.. so it turns out the suspense was more fun than the response.

He took the high road.

I would recommend using the hydrometer for consistency, to know when it is finished. They are accurate even though it is just a piece of paper in a floating glass.

Salut,

It doesn't even sound like he is interested in trying my award winning brew.

Does it stop here? Or do I respond with more questions?

I AM still bored at work

Alright.. so it turns out the suspense was more fun than the response.

He took the high road.

I would recommend using the hydrometer for consistency, to know when it is finished. They are accurate even though it is just a piece of paper in a floating glass.

Salut,

It doesn't even sound like he is interested in trying my award winning brew.

Does it stop here? Or do I respond with more questions?

I AM still bored at work

It's VERY funny that he wouldn't bite! That actually made me laugh.

Did you try asking him if he was single? :D

Of course I responded! But not by calling the phone number he sent also.

I sent back a PM telling him how to fix his "wine", said yes I like bluegrass in small doses, and mentioned that I was very happily married. And old enough to be his mother.

He replied back something like, "Oh, if you don't want to call me, can I have YOUR number to call you?"

I won't steal your thread much longer, but trust me. I've had some very, um, unusual PMs.

No worries.. its all fun and passes the time!

We need a thread "Sender Anonymous, Yoopers best PM's"

Sounds like I could spend some time there.

makes me want to convince someone to try it just to see how incredibly foul that would be.... I think I need to have a beer to wash that taste out of my mind.

Keep sending more horrid questions from different emails? Heck, post his up! I'm sure HBT would help in flooding his inbox with retarded questions.

Keep sending more horrid questions from different emails? Heck, post his up! I'm sure HBT would help in flooding his inbox with retarded questions.

I like him! haha its supposed to be fun.. ill eventually tell him its me.

I do have another LHBS owner whom I dont use anymore that this might be a good idea..... (not really)

Crap! Lol I'm bored at work too, I was hoping I'd have something to do!

Ok I couldn't help myself. My response:

Thank you for your response.. I had a feeling that is what you would say. I still am hesitant with my hygrometer as it was a hand me down. Maybe I will come purchase a new one so I dont worry as much.

Either way it sounds like you think it is possible that my assumption is correct. I need to be more dialed in on how long this thing takes.

If I come by to get a new hygrometer (if you have them) I will bring some of my brew for you to critique.

You do have to promise me that you will not give out the recipe to your customers.. I am a bit concerned about letting it out. If it hits the internet I know everyone will love it and it will not be "a family recipe" anymore.

Thanks again,

+1 Ask if he's single and if he likes bluegrass music... Deliverance style. ;)

I have to think I stop getting responses from him when I drop the marital status question.. after all I did tell him my name was Ralph.

WHEN I drop the marital status question.... not if

I have to think I stop getting responses from him when I drop the marital status question.. after all I did tell him my name was Ralph.

WHEN I drop the marital status question.... not if

Then add "I seen yer pitcher on the website. You sure got a purty mouth..."

Back