Converting Jamil's Roggenbier recipe to PM

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toilet Rocker

Reaction score
Hi,

I've extracted, PMed, and even AGed batches for just over 5 years. I generally know how to convert from AG to extract, but how about AG to PM when a lot of rye is involved and there are no (?) options to replace with extract?

Jamil's recipe is:
6.25 rye malt
3.5 munich
3 pilsner
2 oz carafa sp II
.25 rice hulls (optional)

I was going to tweak the grain bill some, but wonder if I can convert this to PM bearing in mind that 1. there's no rye extract and 2. decreasing the base malts will lead to poorer conversion of the rye.

Thanks!

Hi Conroe. Thanks for the response. Are you suggesting removing the munich base malt and replacing it with LME? Wouldn't that impact the conversion of rye malt?

Rye malt can convert itself, but you will need about 1/2 lb of rice hulls. You can also substitute 2.2 lbs of light LME for the pilsner.

David, would you suggest keeping the munich malt as is, but subbing the pilsner malt? Would you suggest adding rye oats or performing a cereal mash to start?

Most of the Munich LME is 50/50 2-row/Munich. I'd just up it to replace all Pilsner. It looks like Jamil had 100% Munich LME, but I wonder if the extract versions were ever even brewed by him.

If you mash in a bag you don't need rice hulls.

Don't do a cerial mash. Rye malt is fully modified.

Jamil's recipe on the podcast was AG and the munich malt was grain. I've never heard of munich extract. LME can't convert though, can it?

Jamil's recipe on the podcast was AG and the munich malt was grain. I've never heard of munich extract. LME can't convert though, can it?

This is Briess 50/50 2-row/Munich. The same extract is sold at AHS.
http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewi...syrup/northern-brewer-amber-malt-syrup-1.html
It was not available when I use extract. It may be the best easily available extract but it's not German.

http://www.weyermann-malt.com/eng/produkte.asp?idkat=27&umenue=yes&idmenue=37&sprache=2
Good luck finding Weyermann Munich Amber fresh. 100% German light Munich.

Rye malt can convert itself, but you will need about 1/2 lb of rice hulls. You can also substitute 2.2 lbs of light LME for the pilsner.
So, I'm gonna quote this, say that my Roggenbier is 50/50 Rye/Munich, and call it a day.

Yes, here is a Munich extract. I did not realize it was 50/50 two row/munich. I'll keep that in mind if I do a partial with it.

I went ahead and plugged it into a calculator. It looks like five pounds of Munich LME would replace the 3.5 lb Munich and 3 lb Pilsner. Still it's almost a 10 lb mini-mash. All his recipes are for six gallons and 70% efficiency.

Back