Still not carbing in keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EddieWess

Reaction score
Tomorrow will be 2 weeks since kegging (my first time). I had the CO2 on 15 psi for a week with no progress so I turned it up to 20 psi last Sunday, still only a little foam (1/8 of an inch) and not much carbonation. Is it OK to do the fast carbonation thing (you know 50 psi and rolling and shaking the keg. etc.) at this point?

NEVER use 50psi. Most people who force carbonate like this use a max of 35psi. I don't suggest it either. I've had better results setting it at 12-15psi depending on the beer and leaving it alone for a week.

It sounds to me like you have a leak.

Something is wrong with your system. It should be much better than what you describe. Have you checked all the fittings. Have you purged the keg via the relief valve to make sure there is CO2 entering the keg?

are you using a sankey keg or a corny? I tried force carbing my sankey set up and didn't realize you had to lock the tap down, not just twisting the tap. It was one of those homer simpson moments, DOH!!

Something is wrong with your system. It should be much better than what you describe. Have you checked all the fittings. Have you purged the keg via the relief valve to make sure there is CO2 entering the keg?

.........x2

We've checked the fittings for leaks and the tank doesn't seem to emptying out .

I guess I'll check again for leaks. What else? Can I still try to force carb?

BTW its a corny keg.

Thanks all.

Is some valve not all the way open? Once you get it figured out, I've had luck forcing carbing at 30psi for 24 hrs, then dropping it down to style carbonation volume for another day or two.

Back