So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I am going to attempt a brew day instruction course on Thanksgiving at my house. We'll already have a bunch of people over, so I think it'd be fun to brew a beer in the morning and show everyone the process. Then we can drink some finished product with our meal later in the day.

Sure! I've actually made this with a couple of different recipes. I'll share them both. Basically, it's just a very simple wheat beer with a bunch of cranberries in the secondary.
1st recipe:

1 lbs Crystal Malt 20°L
1 lbs Belgian Cara-Pils
8 lbs Liquid wheat extract
1 oz. Cascade pellets (~5.5 %AA) 60 minutes
1 oz. Saaz pellets (~5.0%AA) 15 minutes
.5 oz. Saaz pellets (~5.0 %AA) 1 minute
~4.5 - 5 lbs fresh cranberries
Neutral yeast. I usually use Safale.
Steep grains as normal. Boil and pitch yeast as normal.
Once primary fermentation is done, heat cranberries in a sauce pan just enough so you can crush them a bit. I just use a potato masher. (may need to do a couple of batches) Add the cranberries to a fermentation bucket. (I tried it in a carboy one time. I'll never do that again. Cranberries are way to hard to get in and out.)
Rack the beer on top of the cranberries and let it sit for two weeks.
Rack the beer into a tertiary (sp?) and let sit for another week.
Bottle/keg as normal.

The other recipe I've used is even more simple.
1 lb white wheat malt. (steeped)
7 lbs wheat LME
.5 oz. Spalt (4.75) 60 minutes
.5 oz. Perle (8.25) 30 minutes
Neutral yeast.
Same process as above. Primary > Secondary with cranberries > Tertiary > bottle/keg.

Can you really taste the cranberries in the beer? I know fresh cranberries are kind of gross by themselves until cooked and sweetened.

Can you really taste the cranberries in the beer? I know fresh cranberries are kind of gross by themselves until cooked and sweetened.
Yes you can! Nice red color as well. Although, I LOVE the taste of fresh cranberries, so... If you don't like cranberries, you might not like this. You could sweeten them with something like splenda, though.

I love the cranberry flavor but I ate a fresh one once and I remember not liking it for some reason. Maybe it was kind of gritty?

Anyways, it sounds really good. I'm going to have to give it a whirl

Started pre boiling the water for my ESB...gonna be a great Thanksgiving. Hope everyone has a safe and happy Thanksgiving.

First brew in a couple of years. Taking a step back doing a partial mash due to where and how I live. Making a full flavor ale. Dry extract, Crystal and a little bit of chocolate malt ground up in the maltmill. Leaf hops. 5.5 gallon batch instead of the usual 11. I have all day. :) So5 yeast.

David

10g's of Paraphrased Bell's Two-Hearted. Cascade instead of Centennial and some other specialties. Milling it up tomorrow morn ate the LHBS... the Hop Shoppe, then home to dough in.

I will brew one or both of the following this weekend; Marzen using 10# 7L Munich, Doppelbock 8.5# 2 Row 1.5L, 8.5# Munich 7L... 5 gallon batches, S-23 yeast. Hops to be decided, probably on the spur of the moment, but I have Saaz, Tettnager and Hersbrucker (maybe some Spalt as well) in the fridge.

if the weather holds out ill be doig 10 gallons of my amarillo pale ale. i got a couple ounces of nelson sauvin hops to throw in towards the end this time. its just 2 row, carmel 50/60, a little melanoidin, chinook for bittering and amarillo. delicious!

got it done today! changed the hops a bit to use only amarillo and nelson sauvin. fermenting half with S-05 and half with wyeast headwaters.

Today brewing 5 gallons of Black IPA, Cascadian Dark Ale, India Dark Ale, whatever ya wanna call it, I'm brewing a black-ass hop bomb. Just doughed in 10 minutes ago :ban:

Brewed an All Grain Stone Levitation inspired Amber today started at 7:30 done with clean up and all by noon. Hell yes that was my fastest brew day ever.

Really wanted to brew this weekend but the misses went out and bought me a ps3 with the extra cash I had made this week. What was she thinking lol :)

I drank too much wine and ate too much turkey last night to stand...I thought I would brew but I was wrong...Tonight is the night. I swear turkey and wine is worse than hops...so sleepy.

Sunday brewing something english, have recipes for an ESB, a northern brown and a robust porter. thoughts?
I've been on a recent English kick myself. My last three batches have been:
1. English Style IPA. (mrbowenez English IPA Gold Winner) link: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/anyone-brewed-ipa-ekg-140192/#post1591350
Currently being dry-hopped. Sample from primary when I took my FG reading was de-lic-ous.

2. Samuel Smith Nut Brown Ale Clone - I will look for recipe link and edit
3. Captain Hooked on Bitters - (Red Hook Ale Clone) - brewed this yesterday! Busy bubbling away. Here's the link: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f64/captain-hooked-bitters-red-hook-clone-award-winner-29740/. I did it with Marris Otter and S-04 as yeast. Can't beat that combo.

Well I wasn't going to but the wife and kids are leaving me for 24 hours so I have to. Black IPA.

I just did a Watney's Cream Stout clone, recipe from Clone Brews. It's my first from this book, so I hope it's a good-un!

Woke up a couple hours early and threw together a Christmas inspired ale. Managed to do my all grain, milling included in under 3.5 hours!

Was in the mood to brew today too. Did an original recipe Irish Red Ale and I hit all my numbers spot on!! Only thing that didn't seem to come out as planned was the color. LOL I have an Irish Brown Ale.

Helping my future brother in law fill a keg for the first time tomorrow with a beer he brewed on 8/27.

My starter for EdWort's Haus Pale Ale is going for tomorrow.

Back