Glycol cooled, custom kegerator at eye level ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewman !

Reaction score
I want to pour corny kegged beer in our pantry, next to our kitchen.

The pantry has a medium sized chest freezer (14 cubic feet) and an upright freezer (21 cubic feet). The freezer space is all used storing food. The pantry space is all used except for the wall above the chest freezer. The chest freezer is about 48" long.

I'm thinking of making a kegerator that is disguised as wall mounted kitchen cabinet. I'd cool it by pumping chilled glycol from one of the pantry freezers into the kegerator. I could also circulate cool air from one of the freezers to the kegerator.

I'm hoping it will hold 6 kegs. The tapline would be below the cabinet.

I think I'd use a single top hinged door that would allow access to the kegs from the front.

The size of the kegerator would be about 20" deep, 48 inches wide and tall enough to hold kegs. Our pantry has a 9 foot ceiling.

My biggest concern is insulating it and keeping the door closed tightly enough to prevent leakage. How thick is the insulation in a typical chest freezer ? Could I use ordinary house foam insulation ? How would one seal the joints between pieces of insulation ? How would one tightly seal the door ?

My other concern is balancing the pour pressure. The pour would occur at or beneath the bottom of the kegs.

Any thoughts on the design or building this ?

Nobody has any ideas on doing this ?

One problem I foresee is that the freezer is going to be below the kegerator, if that is the correct term for it. How does one set up the pump and reservoir in a situation like this ?

Could a small air conditioning unit be used to keep the kegerator cool ? Is there a quiet one on the market ?

Can a fridge be operated on its side or does it have to be standing up ?

Back