Looking for a charred barn

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hampton_Lee

Reaction score
After drinking a few smokey, heavy roasted beers from Natty Greene's Brewing Company, specifically their "Cannonball Double IPA" and their "Black Powder Imperial Stout"...I am wanting to replicate that taste at home.

Does anyone have any suggestions what malts or other ingredients it takes to get a heavily smokey, hugely roasted beer?

Another example is Duck Rabbit's "Hoppy Bunny"...

I say charred barn because, with every sip of these beers, you get a sense you are walking through a charred barn in the Appalachian mountains, with air filled with fresh chimney smoke from 19th century log cabins, while, in the distance you hear the faint whistle of a steam locomotive chugging its way up the Blue Ridge mountains.

...I may have gotten carried away there, but hopefully you get the idea.

Thanks for the help!

I'd say for starters, smoked malt. I've never used it personally though because I don't care for it much, at least in the brews I've had.

I say charred barn because, with every sip of these beers, you get a sense you are walking through a charred barn in the Appalachian mountains, with air filled with fresh chimney smoke from 19th century log cabins, while, in the distance you hear the faint whistle of a steam locomotive chugging its way up the Blue Ridge mountains.

That's a pretty colorful description. Perhaps you have a future in writing those blurbs that no on bottle labels.

Got a smoker? I usually throw a batch of 10 lbs of grain in with my steelhead to cold smoke for about 24 hours in the winter and use that to make a porter. Its fantastic to me, but depending on the wood used it can come off like smoked sausages or bacon to many guests.

You have spent WAY TOO MUCH TIME at BeerAdvocate. Stop it.

Back