Secondary with blow off?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iambeer

Reaction score
On recent brews I've skipped the primary fermenter and have gone directly to the secondary. So far this has turned out just fine. I know people say the secondary is not necessary but I'm skeptical, especially when the primaries are getting washed and I just need to move pre-aging forward into the fermentation/signs of fermentation phase. I use 3 gallon carboys for secondaries. For primaries, I only have a 11 liter glass container which is being cleaned. I am thinking about upgrading my vessels to greater ones so that I can stop using blow off tubes in my secondaries.

This is a joke, right?

if not...your yeast do not care what vessel they're in - they're going to get to work in the first vessel you leave them alone in. You can call that vessel "Lake Placid" - -they don't care. It's performing PRIMARY fermentation, regardless of the name. Secondary is not a fermentation, but a 'resting' phase where the yeast can settle out (floculate) and the beer can clear. This occurs no matter what vessel they're in. It's all about TIME.

I'm confused by your terminology. There's no such thing as "going directly to secondary." It's only a "secondary" if there has been a primary. What you are describing is a long primary with NO secondary, not "all secondary."

I think you are referring to a carboy as "secondary," but the term refers to what's happening in the vessel, not what type of vessel it is.

If your question is "Can I use a blowoff tube in a carboy?" then the answer is yes, that's perfectly fine.

Regardless, it's still amusing.

Not really. I admit, I was confused by the question at first, but I didn't laugh to myself or feel the need to publicly bash the OP. We're supposed to be fostering a culture where new brewers don't need to be afraid to ask a "stupid question" for fear of being made fun of by elitist a$$hats.

Anyway, we're getting off topic. To the OP, I agree with all the legitimate responses you've been given so far. I don't have any additional information to add, just putting in my affirmation that I feel the advice you've been given is sound. Cheers!

First of all I want to thank everyone for their input. And for the record, I don't feel bashed. This has been an enlightening thread for me. Again.. thank you. I have decided that I will stop using primaries permanently and only use secondary vessels. I truly believe primaries are not necessary and are a thing of the past before the internet was invented. We should all be using secondaries and sometimes tertiaries for aging and mad adjuncts like fruit and vanilla beans.

your yeast do not care what vessel they're in - they're going to get to work in the first vessel you leave them alone in. You can call that vessel "Lake Placid" - -they don't care.

Well, I don't know what your yeast is like but I'm pretty sure mine do care what I call the vessel they're in. Because they can feel my mood and intention, I try to stop them from reading my mind by playing soft music near them. I encourage you should try it. The problem now is I don't know what kind of music they like; however I have reviewed evidence they prefer non-lossy audio compression.

If your question is "Can I use a blowoff tube in a carboy?" then the answer is yes, that's perfectly fine.

I must use blowoffs (blow-off tubes) or the bung will pop and make a huge mess from the frothing krausen. I was only suggesting that I will have to upgrade to larger vessels for my secondaries so that I can stop using these tubes which aren't just hard to clean but add the chance of infection.

My yeast get excited when I watch them have sex. I bet soft music would be better..for both of us.

Did you know that Al Gore invented secondaries?

First of all I want to thank everyone for their input. And for the record, I don't feel bashed. This has been an enlightening thread for me. Again.. thank you. I have decided that I will stop using primaries permanently and only use secondary vessels. I truly believe primaries are not necessary and are a thing of the past before the internet was invented. We should all be using secondaries and sometimes tertiaries for aging and mad adjuncts like fruit and vanilla beans.

1) Without a primary you don't have beer. Going "straight to secondary" is like putting your wort in a fermenter and then not adding yeast. You have to ferment your wort and that is accomplished by a primary.

2) This is starting to sound suspiciously like a troll thread.

Dude we really don't understand. Are you saying that the vessels you use are different for primary, and secondary (like plastic and glass), and you wish to simply use the vessel that you currently designate as your "secondary fermenter?" for fermentation only? Then yes, of course, you do not have to transfer your beer. You can ferment it, and then bottle or keg it, with out the need of changing vessels. Primary refers to the first place it sits, and secondary the second. So saying that you want to go strait to secondary when you make it simply does not make sense. Hope we can help sir. Good luck with your brews! -Jake

2) This is starting to sound suspiciously like a troll thread.

Suspiciously? Go on this was a simple joke. I thought it was funny anyway but let's just stop right here before it gets ugly.

Added: I acknowledge it might have been only funny to me. Moving on.

What I can't believe is that almost everyone answered thinking this was ANYTHING but a joke... ;-)

There is no word for it (unlike troll) but there are many people on internet that feel uncomfortable with vagueness and they prefer to respond to the face value. They get upset if they feel fooled later on by a hidden humor as if it was staged to make them look tricked. That is not my intention, honestly, but if I had made the humor more obvious, then it would not have been funny. Essentially I'm joking about all those posts that say the secondaries are not necessary, just a light hearted joke... cheers.

Personally I started laughing at the first post... Some people click faster with the Absurd than others... ;-)

Absurd humor is like coriander... ;-)

I've started skipping the fermentation vessel completely and now I bottle directly after pitching yeast. Far less chance of infection this way. They almost always blow up though...

I'm way ahead of you guys...! I drink the liquid yeast while chewing the grain and let it all ferment directly in my own body... let me have a constant stream of alcohol for days...

Since when did post count equate to brewing experience and/or knowledge of terminology?
Hey now.
There is no word for it (unlike troll) but there are many people on internet that feel uncomfortable with vagueness and they prefer to respond to the face value. They get upset if they feel fooled later on by a hidden humor as if it was staged to make them look tricked. That is not my intention, honestly, but if I had made the humor more obvious, then it would not have been funny. Essentially I'm joking about all those posts that say the secondaries are not necessary, just a light hearted joke... cheers.

Stick around after a Christmas season answering questions exactly like this in the Beginners Beer Brewing Forum and see how fun the joke is. You're penance is answering the "counting the bubbles to know when it's done" questions in January.

On recent brews I've skipped the primary fermenter and have gone directly to the secondary. So far this has turned out just fine. I know people say the secondary is not necessary but I'm skeptical, especially when the primaries are getting washed and I just need to move pre-aging forward into the fermentation/signs of fermentation phase. I use 3 gallon carboys for secondaries. For primaries, I only have a 11 liter glass container which is being cleaned. I am thinking about upgrading my vessels to greater ones so that I can stop using blow off tubes in my secondaries.

There are primary vessels for fermentation and there are secondary vessels for bulk clearing (aka brite tanks), aging, or carbonating/serving (commercialized scale).

There is primary fermentation. Clearing and aging.

The only time there is a secondary fermentation is when the beer is primed for bottle/cask carbonation.

I have no idea what "to move pre-aging forward means". It's either in lag, fermenting, flocculating, or aging at varied levels of efficacy.

Latest posts

Back