1000 oaks mini barrels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dustwing

Reaction score
So, I recently got one of these http://www.1000oaksbarrel.com/index...category_id=6&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=27 in the 3 liter variety. Looks pretty neat on the rack with the carboys I must say, but aside from aesthetics, has anyone here used one of these before? I've got 3 gallons of red wine in a carboy that I'm considering moving what I can of into the barrel. It says on the website that the volume of the barrel means that liquids are aged 5x faster than normal, so I dont think I'll be putting my mead or cider in there (never mind what the oak-y flavor would do to cider or a hibiscus mead...hmm..) but wine is supposed to age for a while, right?

Happy new years, folks! :mug:

oh hey now, that's a good idea XD
I have a ton of cheap vodka I normally use for airlocks...woohoo! I'ma do it!

i want one now... i was gonna get another glass carboy for mroe bulk aging... but i want one of these now for other ageing... good post dust

Cheers

For cheap insurance against the bung popping out when CO2 bubbles out of solution. And it will. Especially if you don't use a frickin airlock!

does anyone know if these will hold pressure so you can get a little carbonation and serve it up like a cask ale?

Can someone explain this to me? How can a 3 liter barrel age stuff faster than a 3 gallon carboy?

So if a wine normally takes a year to age, it would be just as aged after just 3?

Do smaller barrels age the spirit faster than large barrels?
Yes... due to the greater surface or contact area ratio, small size barrels will age 5 to 10 times faster then your standard 55 gallon barrel. These means that one month in a small barrel will produce the equivalent aging to 1 to 1 1/2 years in a full size barrel.

It's on their FAQ page....

I was just gifted one of these for my b-day and definitely excited to try it out. I've got an e-mail inquiry in to 1000 oaks about making a cask ale with it. I'll keep you all informed if they respond.

I also just recevied a 10L for my B day, wondering if you heard back from them.

They said while typically you'd carbonate after the barrel aging, you could potentially make a cask ale. I didn't get the vibe he was 100% certain of this, so I would definitely keep the volumes of CO2 restrained (1.0-1.5 range).

Back