Kegging...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mysterio

Reaction score
I just bought this keg today, and foolishly assumed that i'd be able to fill it up today without any other equipment.

Basically, what else is involved with kegging? It's got this valve on top of it, which I can't figure out what it's for. I thought it was as simple as throwing my beer in with some sugar and letting it do its thing for a few weeks.

Meanwhile i've got beer in a secondary fermenter thats been sitting for 2 weeks and not enough empty bottles to bottle it.

I admit I was pretty foolhardy with the keg situation! What should I do? Apart from do some preparatory reading next time.

what type of keg is it?

Is the valve you're talking about a pressure release valve or an exposed ball valve (sanke)?

I'm not sure what kind of keg it is, no brand on it. The valve lets air out but not in, and it looks like something can be screwed onto it. Also theres nothing adjustable on it.

Does it look like any of these?

sabco_1883_7222611

OK, nothing like those. Infact its more of a plastic barrel, with a tap at the bottom. 5 Gallons I assume. I don't have a camera, unfortunately.

I wish I hadn't bought this thing!

it looks like the droid line-up from the first star wars movie when Luke and his uncle were buying new units from the Jawas.

3rd one from the left looks suspiciously like R2D2.

-walker

Imperial Walker said:
it looks like the droid line-up from the first star wars movie when Luke and his uncle were buying new units from the Jawas.

3rd one from the left looks suspiciously like R2D2.

-walker
except that those kegs look more believable...

yup...

the never showed it in the movies, but I'm sure R2 has a beer tap in his tool-kit someplace.

-walker

It looks like this:

BARRELLING

We recommend either a a King Keg (in top tap & bottom versions) or the Economy 25 litre barrel.

King Keg Economy Barrel
7062.jpg

THE KING KEG

Probably the most famous barrel on the market. When it was launched a few years ago it set new standards. The main features of this blow moulded barrel is the sturdy construction, with the large neck opening. This allows you to put your hand in to clean the inside. The large top comes complete with a rather special valve. This allows the release of excess gases which build up during the secondary fermentation (the priming process, see later). It also allows for the injection of additional CO2 gas (again see later). It is quite simple in operation, having a channel which goes straight down the length of the valve allowing gas to enter into the barrel by blowing the small rubber temporarily away from the pin it is covering. When the gas is stopped being injected it reseals, preventing any infection. The rubber in the middle of the valve is designed to expand when the pressure inside the barrel rises above 8 - 10 psi. Again, a channel from the base of the valve joins up with the rubber in the middle. Once the pressure settles down this will then reseal itself. The rubbers will need replacing every 6 months.

With the King Keg you have a choice of two: Top Tap version (code 7064) Bottom Tap version (code 7066) TOP TAP (7064) This has a float which allows you to draw off the beer from the top. Naturally the beer will clear at the top first, so you actually get to drink clear beer quicker with this version. You can also stand the barrel on a worktop or floor as you don't need to overhang a surface to get your glass under. As the tap is ¾ of the way up it's got plenty of height for your "pint tumbler". BOTTOM TAP (7066) We have to say this is the more popular version as it is easier to use, and less to go wrong. You do however need to make sure you have somewhere to put it (over hanging a work surface). As a lot of people want to allow the beer to mature (6 weeks plus) the clearing is not really an issue.

ECONOMY BARREL

25 Litre (7062) This again is a great barrel but only has a 50mm (2") cap which is fitted with a pressure valve (see earlier). You can't get your hand in to clean it but with the modern cleaner/steriliser (like the Ritchie one) this is not so important. The thing that people like about this barrel is the simplicity of it.

COMMON TO ALL BARRELS

Priming

Once again the beer kit manufacturers will recommend on the kits what to do, but the idea of priming is to get a secondary fermentation going. This is done by adding sugar to the beer which has been transferred from your bucket. Whilst the initial fermentation finished in the bucket (all the sugar has been converted into alcohol), it is possible to get this going again by adding more sugar. There are still yeast cells floating in the beer, and by adding the sugar the yeast will start to convert this into alcohol. As this happens CO2 gases are given off - which create the pressure in the barrel. This allows the beer to become slightly carbonated, and gives sufficient pressure so when you turn the tap on beer comes out of the barrel.

Latest posts

Back