Simpson's Peat Malt - anyone use it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know it...I've only tried whatever peated malt AHS sells. JZ and JP have nothing but bad, bad things to say about peated malt in general, but I've had good results with the stuff I have.

I have a couple pounds and will use it to make a Stone Smoked Porter clone. Just looking for any feedback on it. I guess I'll go light. Stone only uses about 3% LPM (Lightly Peated Malt) but I think they use Baird's.

I have been doing extensive research in formulating a recipe for a strong Scottish Ale. What I have found out is that a little peated malt goes a long way. 1% should be enough. 3% may be over the top. Like with any of specialty grain there can be a very delicate balance between what works, and what doesn't.

I was going to use it in my Strong Scottish Ale but decided to go with Weyermann's Rauch Malt instead. Seems it's a little bit more forgiving. Whatever you do have fun with it. Worst case it may need to age for awhile.;)

Yep. The brewer said to be careful with it. They use 3% as theirs is "Lightly" peated. I think I'll drop mine down to 1.5% and give it a try.

I find that Rauch malt tends to have the aroma of BBQ while the peated reminds me of a wee scooter of a fine Islay scotch.

Ed, the smokey "wee scooter of a fine Islay scotch" taste comes from the yeast in a Scottish Ale. I'll send you one of my Smoked Porter( bottled yesterday, yummmy) to compare along with the Scottish for our RyePA swap.

I recently had a problem with an AG brew kit (BTW, the person is a stand up business owner and sent replacement grains!), where the recipe called for 1/2 oz of peated malt, yet I was given 1/2 pound! The secondary tasted like sucking on silicone band-aids. I could not swallow the hydro sample.

I had an experienced brewmaster from a local brewhouse taste it and identified it as peated malt, and not an infection or chlorine.

Be very careful! Use it sparingly! This stuff is strong... ruined the beer!

Eric

No surprise that your beer was ruined when you used 1,600% more of a strongly flavored ingredient than intended.

Though Scottish Ale depends on yeast (rather than peat) for some of its depth of flavor, Stone Smoked Porter does indeed use a small amount peated malt in the grain bill. Since that is the exact flavor that Ed is after, and since the amount is fairly well documented, the only question that remains is how this particular maltster's peated malt compares to the variety used by Stone. All other points are fairly moot.

No surprise that your beer was ruined when you used 1,600% more of a strongly flavored ingredient than intended.

Though Scottish Ale depends on yeast (rather than peat) for some of its depth of flavor, Stone Smoked Porter does indeed use a small amount peated malt in the grain bill. Since that is the exact flavor that Ed is after, and since the amount is fairly well documented, the only question that remains is how this particular maltster's peated malt compares to the variety used by Stone. All other points are fairly moot.

Well because Stone doesn't ship to Florida I don't know what their smoked porter tastes like, so that explains my error.

But if you do make it Ed save mine and compare head to head and let me know.

Well because Stone doesn't ship to Florida I don't know what their smoked porter tastes like, so that explains my error.

But if you do make it Ed save mine and compare head to head and let me know.

Will do. The peated malt is what makes a big difference between Islay and Highland scotches. Islay will always have a smokey peaty flavor & aroma.

Back