Top Chef

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArcaneXor

Reaction score
Tonight's episode of Top Chef on Bravo involved pairing beer with food. Might be worth checking out, even though the beer selection wasn't exactly stellar.

damn I missed it. I love that show but only catch it on reruns late at night when they play 3 or 4 in a row. What beers did they pair with. Let me guess, a Light Lager, Red Ale, Porter and a Stout?

Gtfo :mad: .....imho, A chef who is worth his salt knows alcohol of all types....because his foood will inturn be enhanced....AND...if he is running a business.....alcohol brings quite a bit of $$$$;)

Seriously Michelob...For a show that uses only the best ingredients then they use Michelob...game over, I give up. If I ever paired a beer with a recipe that I took time and consideration to plan and execute, then I paired it with michelob, I would be laughed at in the culinary world. Why not just use a German Pale Ale or a good American Cream Ale(are there any)

That one guy said "all beer tastes the same to me" and he claims to be a Chef?

Top Chef is my favorite show. Besides It's Always Sunny and Curb your Enthuaism back when I had HBO it's the only show I make an effort to watch when it airs.

None of the beers that I saw were especially strongly flavored; lots of middle-of-the-road, drinkable stuff. Would have been MUCH more interesting to see someone pair an oatmeal stout with some kind of chocolate desert, or an IPA with a real spicy Asian dish.... but then again, I'm an EAC. I could see my wife cringe when they showed the challenge, she KNEW I'm be bitching about it!

the_bird said:
None of the beers that I saw were especially strongly flavored; lots of middle-of-the-road, drinkable stuff. Would have been MUCH more interesting to see someone pair an oatmeal stout with some kind of chocolate desert, or an IPA with a real spicy Asian dish.... but then again, I'm an EAC. I could see my wife cringe when they showed the challenge, she KNEW I'm be bitching about it![/QUOTE]

Your's too:D :D

I think most of the products where Anhauser's/Michelob. Beside the Red Hook and Hoegaarden, I'm pretty certain they were all those crappy new Michelob products.

nealf said:
I saw Dinner: Impossible last night was regarding Michelob's craft beer selection... He had to pair a dish with each of the styles or something; I watched the intro then turned it off... That show sucks anyway

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show_ie/episode/0,3151,FOOD_28496_56719,00.html

OT: Food TV is the antithesis of everything Food. I actually applaud Emeril and Mario for GTFO of that place.

Also, 'Let's fire this guy who lied on his resume....but, we should still show the show to make money off of it, right? right?' D-Bags.

svudah said:
anhauser (sp?) owns 25% of redhook btw.

But during the tour they specifically make a point of saying the AB has absolutely no say about their product. The stake in Redhook is merely so Redhook can use AB's distribution. Very smart on Redhooks part!

I love good eats, ad that is about it on that place. Iron Chef every now and then is fun, and I don't mind watching Rachel Ray. But a lot of the new people on there are not as interesting as their veterans. Although that Guy Ferri (sp?) is pretty cool, but I'm not really into the Diners, Drive ins, and Dives show.

:off: One show on the food network I also hate is "Throwdown with Bobby Flay"...

The food network tells you they're doing a spotlight on your cooking since its the best in the nation; wow, what recognition.

Then all of a sudden a guy that has never even made the dish that you make your living cooking. Instead of them showing off how good of a cook you are; they're showing how good Bobby Flay is, and how much you suck. What a slap in the face.

edit: Here is a write up of the chowder show Here

nealf said:
:off: One show on the food network I also hate is "Throwdown with Bobby Flay"...

The food network tells you they're doing a spotlight on your cooking since its the best in the nation; wow, what recognition.

Then all of a sudden a guy that has never even made the dish that you make your living cooking. Instead of them showing off how good of a cook you are; they're showing how good Bobby Flay is, and how much you suck. What a slap in the face.

edit: Here is a write up of the chowder show Here

I cannot stand the man. Ever since the Iron Chef battle against Morimoto, where he proved his arrogance and utter disregard for an entire culture, all the while flaunting his egotistical.....ahh now you got me going :D

PseudoChef said:
OT: Food TV is the antithesis of everything Food. I actually applaud Emeril and Mario for GTFO of that place.

Also, 'Let's fire this guy who lied on his resume....but, we should still show the show to make money off of it, right? right?' D-Bags.

I don't think there is one show on there I can honestly say I enjoy or learn from. I mean most of those people suck as cooks and have the audacity to be the ones 'teaching' the population about cuisine. I mean seriously, most of those shows are just rancid. The original Iron Chef I loved. The new one, no thanks. Just another dumbing down of the populus.

C'mon, you've got to give some love to Alton Brown, right? I mean, his homebrew show was kind of f*cked up, but that got lots of people around here into homebrewing originally. I've learned a crapload of stuff from him.

the_bird said:
C'mon, you've got to give some love to Alton Brown, right? I mean, his homebrew show was kind of f*cked up, but that got lots of people around here into homebrewing originally. I've learned a crapload of stuff from him.

Ok, he's the exception...although I don't totally agree with all of his stuff. Still though, at least he teaches.

...continue rant....

I have known many chefs that can cook these 'celebrity chefs' or 'top rated chefs' under the table. But because they are in the public eye, everyone oogles over them. Mostly because they can't differentiate, and this comes in part because they are not being taught.

I watched a top chef or two. It's ok, but that beer comment is just scary.

the_bird said:

Yeah, but there are errors in all his shows. I like the guy and his desire to teach as Zoe said, but it boils down to poorly done research and haphazard editing.

I remember one show where he was talking about an amino acid that didn't even exist. It was clear he was talking about alanine, but it's not that hard to google "Amino Acids" and realize that the one he was saying wasn't the correct name.

Back