Need Mead Recipie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaxTheSpy

Reaction score
I've been looking for a Mead Recipe for quite a while now and I can't seem to find any that fit what I'm looking for.

I'm looking for a Sweet but strong Mead with wood or earthy tones as well as a little bit of clove, I would like an easy recipe as this will be my first time trying it and hopefully one that does not take more than 6 months to make and be ready to drink.

Please and Thanks!

I'm brewing some mead right now. Used store bought water, some decent honey from Walmart, and distiller's yeast. It's a one gallon test batch and I used 2lbs of honey. It's going very slow for some reason.

Easy, strong and ready in 6 months don't go together. You should be able to make it work with two of the three, but not all three together. Of course, my definitions of easy and strong could be significantly different than yours.

You could check out the BOMM (Bray's One Month Mead) thread for a starting point.

I think that 3:1 honey water is not unreasonable for sweetness. Also I was thinking about putting some vanilla beans and a wood spiral for kind of earthy oaky taste. How many vanilla beans should I use?

That sounds very heavy on the honey, let me know how it ferments I'm kinda interested

Joe's Ancient Orange Mead recipe is simple and it was loved by everyone that tasted it... I like it just the way it is but it's easy to modify slightly, like adding a bit of cloves as you suggest...

3# honey for a gallon is pretty standard. I've used that on a number of meads. That's right at 1.100. Depending on the honey and whatever else you might add.

I think that will make a fine ale, and you probably won't have to wait too long to drink it either. I don't know what the alpa acid level of your hops are, but if they hold to the norm, it should be full, crisp and refreshing.
Now I have to go grab a brew of my own now....

3 lbs honey to 1 gallon?

Back