Apple Jack Problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bluesfndr9

Reaction score
A freind,cough, tried freezing his cider gone bad to make apple jack. He thought that just the water would freeze and there would be a layer of alcohol uder the icey top. The entire cotainer froze entirely there was no liquid left. What could the problem have been? Was the freezer set too cold? Has this ever happened to anyone? My "friend" would really appreciate your help thanks!

did you... er, yer friend... freeze sweet (unfermented) cider, or hard cider? If it was sweet cider that had just barely started to ferment, then there wasn't enough alcohol. Tell your friend to try using fully fermented hard cider next time...

tell your friend, also to freeze, to the point of a slushy and then take it out and shake it up then re freeze then shake and thaw and Freeze, see where I am goin with this, for about a week or two then let the water freeze solid. In the olden days they would bury jack in the ground and let it sit all winter and during the last freze of the year would dig it up. basically it need the Freeze/thaw/Freeze in order to help separate. good luck

Cheers

bluesfndr9 said:
A freind,cough, tried freezing his cider gone bad to make apple jack. He thought that just the water would freeze and there would be a layer of alcohol uder the icey top. The entire cotainer froze entirely there was no liquid left. What could the problem have been? Was the freezer set too cold? Has this ever happened to anyone? My "friend" would really appreciate your help thanks!

the cider as fully fermented fermenter and sat for a month but you make a good point

Hmmm maybe my friend will try this. How much alcohol can you expect to get and how strong will it be? My friend is making some cider should be around 7-8% ABV.

beerdad, it depends on what your friend starts with, and how much of the water he reclaims, but you can assume around 30 or 40%...

wop31 said:
tell your friend, also to freeze, to the point of a slushy and then take it out and shake it up then re freeze then shake and thaw and Freeze, see where I am goin with this, for about a week or two then let the water freeze solid. In the olden days they would bury jack in the ground and let it sit all winter and during the last freze of the year would dig it up. basically it need the Freeze/thaw/Freeze in order to help separate. good luck

Cheers

it seems like shaking would just mix it all back up i understand how the freezing and thawing would work but wouldn't shaking it undo everything?

bluesfndr9 said:

Might also want to tell your "friend" that what he's doing is highly illegal if he lives in the U.S.A. or most any other country...

http://www.chow.com/stories/10475

YOU'RE ALSO 19 SO YOU SHOULDN'T BE HERE...

gyrfalcon said:
Might also want to tell your "friend" that what he's doing is highly illegal if he lives in the U.S.A. or most any other country...

Am I missing something? According to his profile, he's 26. Apple jacking is still illegal, but I don't see where you get that the poster is nineteen, but I've been drinking, so who knows.

newell456 said:
Am I missing something? According to his profile, he's 26. Apple jacking is still illegal, but I don't see where you get that the poster is nineteen, but I've been drinking, so who knows.

I kinda wondered that myeslf.

Maybe his friend is 19, but I don't know how anyone would know that.

So because someone has a youtube account that is 19 that makes me younger because its the same name? So if I make a youtube account gryfalcon or something like that does that affect your age too? Interesting theory. Probably not considered by Ponce de Leon as the fountain of youth back then but live and learn. Congratulations on your discovery and thanks for robbing my thread and stopping my friend from getting help. Now I have to listen to him *****.

Wait- so you actually spend your time searching around the internet for names matching ones you see on a forum?

Just so you can claim "proof" that somebody is underage?

Is Minnesota really that boring?

I don't know how he found out about the u-tube info.

I don't like helping people trolling how to make booze.

All that needs to happen is mom finds out somebody on HBT helped their son make Applejack and drank that with his 4 buddies and wrapped the Olds around the big Oak Tree on H-Way 10. Then they spend every spare penny to shut this website down because they are lousy parents.

Frankly, if its illegal we shouldn't tell anybody how to do it, period. Let them figure it out on their own.

Moderators: Posts requesting help for illegal activities should be shut-down!!! :mad:

Schlenkerla said:
I don't know how he found out about the u-tube info.

I don't like helping people trolling how to make booze.

All that needs to happen is mom finds out somebody on HBT helped their son make Applejack and drank that with his 4 buddies and wrapped the Olds around the big Oak Tree on H-Way 10. Then they spend every spare penny to shut this website down because they are lousy parents.

Frankly, if its illegal we shouldn't tell anybody how to do it, period. Let them figure it out on their own.

Moderators: Posts requesting help for illegal activities should be shut-down!!! :mad:

Well done, sir! I'm all about a little applejack, but I love this forum a whole lot more.:mug:

ScubaSteve said:
Well done, sir! I'm all about a little applejack, but I love this forum a whole lot more.:mug:

If you want to make AJ its OK with me. I'd probably try it out if you gave me some. My HB club does it too. We shouldn't help people do it though online.

Lets say you helped the 19yr old. Mom could supina your personal info from txbrew and sue you for your entire estate.

I'd use caution for people who want to make non-standard bevos. - (Hooch-Monkeys)

I'm just wondering what cause of action the hypothetical mother of the 19 year old would bring to sue someone on a theory that the poster should have known her son was 19 my cross referencing his screen name with you tube. I'm an attorney, but that's a new one to me. I would never tell someone on a message board how to make apple jack, but that poses a problem unrelated to the age of the person posting as determined by cross referencing youtube.

I also don't understand how the fact that someone on youtube is 19 and uses the name "bluesfndr9" makes this poster 19. The name is probably a guitar reference, and it wouldn't be a real stretch to imagine that the 26 year old tried multiple versions of the name on something like yahoo mail and eventually settled on this one because everything else was already taken. He, like myself, would then adopt the same screen name anywhere he registered rather than remembering multiple screen names. With as many people as there are on the internet, it's also not a stretch to think someone else did the same thing. My screen name is fairly unique and I have used it for years, but every once in awhile I try to register it with a site, and it's already taken. I have even tried newll456 or newell_456 as alternates and have found those taken as well. Seriously, who here has never found their "unique" screen name already registered somewhere or accidentally entered sign up information inaccurately? (like age on you tube for example). For all we know, everyone posting on this thread could be 15. Do we really want to start an age witch hunt based on such scant evidence?

The only reason I posted a apple jack question is because I already read some threads on the topic. I agree and would understand if this thread was removed for that reason. All this because of two people having the same name on two different sites. Wow. Thanks for the help from those that gave it. And such.

gyrfalcon said:

If your going to start preaching and telling people what they are doing is illegal, CHECK ALL YOUR FACTS!!!. I'm sick of people policing. Are you a cop? if so are you a cop in his juristiction? If not it is none of you buisness. As far as the comment about a law suit because he found out how to make it online. Get real there are way more destructive things you can learn on the net.
Back to the CHECK ALL YOUR FACTS. It doesn't matter if he is 19, that means that leagaly he has been able to make beer or wine for at least a year.
http://www.atf.gov/alcohol/info/faq/subpages/25_205.htm
Sec. 25.205
(beer)Production
(a) Any adult may produce beer, without payment of tax, for personal or family use and not for sale. An adult is any individual who is 18 years of age or older. If the locality in which the household is located requires a greater minimum age for the sale of beer to individuals, the adult shall be that age before commencing the production of beer. This exemption does not authorize the production of beer for use contrary to state or local law.

There is a possibility that he is making it 2 years in advance so he can taste a nice aged beer. I'm not that nieve but, what he does with it isn't my buisness, and if he gets cought under the influence then he will be charged for that, NOT making beer. If you like that rant ask me how I feel when I buy alcohol with a valid ID and they ask my girlfriend for hers also!!!

newell456 said:
gyrfalcon: according to teenage writers.com, you are also 19.

http://www.teenagewriters.com/forum/member.php?u=2524

gyrfalcon is the name of a bird and a number of people are using it for an alias... Where as bluesfndr9 is quite individualistic.

If you look at the youtube profile you'll see he has flagged a number of brewing videos as his favorites. So it's pretty damn well certain that's the same bluesfndr9.

Docapi said:
gyrfalcon: Wait- so you actually spend your time searching around the internet for names matching ones you see on a forum?

Just so you can claim "proof" that somebody is underage?

Is Minnesota really that boring?

First of all, I was wondering who would be stupid enough to ask about making applejack in a public forum... and was wondering how easy it would be for the BATF to track him down if they wanted to.

Finding out that he was 19 wasn't intended...

Liquidsandwich said:
If your going to start preaching and telling people what they are doing is illegal, CHECK ALL YOUR FACTS!!!!

Don't even begin to lecture me about the "facts" Mr. Sandwich... You know as well as I do that producing Apple Jack is ILLEGAL without bonding and licensing from the BATF.

Of course severing, making or producing products at the age of 18 is legal; but possession of such items would be illegal in most circumstances by someone under 21.

You don't even read what you're spouting as the facts very well:

Re-Read slowly: "If the locality in which the household is located requires a greater minimum age for the sale of beer to individuals, the adult shall be that age before commencing the production of beer."

Ok, that's enough. Play nice.

If someone registers on here, they put in their day of birth. I'm not into the private investigation career path, so I take it FWIW.

Let's not discuss illegal activites or have personal attacks, ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back