Yeast starter timing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retsp2

Reaction score
Lesson learned: the yeast starter will tell you when its ready--not the other way around.
Made my first starter 2 weeks ago with a 1056 from a washing on Feb,1. It only took 12 hours on the stir plate and was really going. Gave it 24 hrs and then cold crashed and was brewing in 3 days. Happily fermenting a pale ale as I write.
Was going to brew again today (Wed) so on Sun fired up my second yeast starter-a Wyeast smack pack(Nov. 15,2012 date) of 1275 Thames Valley for a Fuggles IPA extract kit..1.043 OG. Put a 1.5 L starter on the stirplate and waited..and waited. Thought it was dead. It took almost 34 hrs before even seeing any CO2 bubbles and then from 34 hrs to 48hrs it woke up and made a great starter. Cold crashing now and won't be brewing til Thursday-one day later than planned.
Learning,learning,learning.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Ive heard you can pitch your yeast a day or maybe more after brewing. As long as your sanitization is good you should be fine. I wouldnt prefer to do that, but it works in a pinch.
Also remeber that each yeast is different in how it acts. Fun, isnt it?
~Cheers

Yeap...I had the same issue when I started doing starters (which I will always do for now on)....same thing....starter took an extra day...maybe 2....to get started....thought it was dead....but it was fine.

So now I get my starter going a couple days sooner than I expect it to take....especially if my brew day has to be on a specific day

Each yeast is different for sure. Even the same yeast can act different! I made a large starter of a Hefe yeast for my first hefe, intending to save a couple of mason jars for future use. The original starter took forever to get going. Fast forward several months, time to brew the second hefe. Pulled out the mason jar of saved yeast, pitched into starter. 3 hours and it is going like crazy. No joke!

Back