NB Brickwarmer Holiday Red Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what water profile is recommended for the brickwarmer? It seems bitter with the US Magnums and orange peel at flame out, but to me, a holiday beer isn't super hoppy/bitter. Thanks in advance.

what water profile is recommended for the brickwarmer? It seems bitter with the US Magnums and orange peel at flame out, but to me, a holiday beer isn't super hoppy/bitter. Thanks in advance.

millsbrew: not sure what your water chemistry tool of choice is, but I use Brun'water. I selected the "Brown Balanced" water profile. My starting water is pretty good, but it's chloramine treated, so I start with a Campden tab, and then adjust per Bru'nwater spreadsheet.

Here's the adjustment summary worksheet - hope this helps!

Also, FWIW - I've brewed this (AG) two years in a row now and both times it's more of a smooth, malt-forward beer with a nice balance of hops standing it up. Maybe a little on the sweet side. I wouldn't describe it as bitter at all.

AdjustedWaterProfile-RedBrickwarmer.PNG

Last edited:
I just threw this brew into the primary last night. I checked on it this morning after about 10 hours and it was fermenting like a madman. I am definitely hoping that I won't need to install a blow off tube, but we shall see. I am definitely looking forward to drinking and sharing this beer at the christmas party this year!

I'll be brewing this for the third year in a row this weekend. I bottle a10g batch and put our Christmas card/label on it and give them out instead of Christmas cards. It's always very well received.

This was my only batch in long ass time that stopped at 1.019. Was hoping for at least 1.015, but oh well. Aerated the wort with the diffusion stone, made a big ass starter of WYeast 1098, but oh well. Forgot to take OG reading on brew day, but I'm guessing it was right around its target of 1.062. So, my ABV will be a little lower than I wanted, but the color, clarity, taste and mouthfeel were all good. Letting it sit in secondary 'till probably around Thanksgiving and then I'll bottle it so it will be good for Christmas. Learned on one beer that had a high FG to just accept it as long as it tastes and smells good. I'd rather have that than add some champagne yeast and dry it out too much and yeah - you raise the ABV some, but it doesn't taste as good. Taste, color and mouthfeel >>> ABV to me.

Hi all,
I'm planning on brewing this next weekend but my LHBS is out of Styrian Golding right now. Fuggles and Willamette show up as subs. Has anyone subbed either or could recommend one?
Thanks!

I'm doing an all grain 10 gallon batch of this in the morning hope it's as good as I've heard!!!

10G in the fermenter. Good brewday. Hit PH and gravities within a few points. Pitched a 3.5L starter of 1028. The aroma coming off the wort in the fermenter was pretty lovely. Can't wait to taste this beer again this year.

Brewed this yesterday afternoon and pitched S-04 around 7 last night. Glad I took today off cuz I had to add a blow-off this morning! Just hope the orange peel doesn't get in the way...

IMG_20151119_121148.jpg

Brewed this yesterday afternoon and pitched S-04 around 7 last night. Glad I took today off cuz I had to add a blow-off this morning! Just hope the orange peel doesn't get in the way...

Interesting - you added the Orange Zest in primary? Or did you add that in the boil and it just came tumbling out?

Interesting - you added the Orange Zest in primary? Or did you add that in the boil and it just came tumbling out?

The recipe calls for the orange peel to be added at the end of the boil and doesn't specify taking them out.

I left my orange peels in for the primary. Haven't tried it yet, but definitely tasted and smelled sweet on bottling day (I didn't do secondary). Here is to hoping that mellows out!

Yep, add at flameout like Vendetta5885 said. I had 2 separate clogs so I added another hose to the other side of the carboy cap and made it through the night, switched back to an airlock this morn. Need to get a proper blow-off hose but this was all I had and it worked ok.

Back