Help with Hop Schedule for End of Year IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmprdood

Reaction score
Been scouting around trying to figure out how to use my left over hops for this year. Figured an IPA would be in order.

I'm looking at an extract batch w/ a 60 minute, 3 gallon boil and a target OG of around 1.050-60 (half the extract to start other half at flameout to minimize carmelization) . I'm looking for about 60 IBUs when all is said and done, something balanced.

I have (all pelletized);
3oz of Willamette (5%)
3oz of Summit (15%)
3oz of Clusters (7%)

I've seen a couple of threads in my search that suggest using the Summit as a late addition and possibly the Clusters as the bittering hop.

Maybe something like this:
A couple oz of clusters in the first 20 minutes for bittering
1 oz of summit in the last 20 minutes
and 1 oz Willamettes near flameout for aroma

Not sure about dry hopping.
Any help from you brew scientists out there is greatly appreciated.

Happy holidays. Cheers!

I think those hops work better in an Imperial Stout.

1 oz summit 60 min (or FWH)
.75 wil
.75 clusters @20
.75wil
.75cluster@5

If you keep the og in the range you suggested then you should only use half the hops I suggest. The hop schedule I gave would work well for an IPA too. I just think that will be a strange beer. I prefer hops with more citrus and less spicy/woody flavors for an IPA.

I prefer hops with more citrus and less spicy/woody flavors for an IPA.

Summit is very citrusy, almost tangerine like. some people do get garlic/onion out of them when used in FWH or too much early in the boil tho. I'd go with something like this:

1.5oz cluster @60
1oz Summit @15
1oz Summit @0
1oz Summit @ dry hop
1oz Cluster or Wily @dry hop

~62IBUs

Summit is very citrusy, almost tangerine like. some people do get garlic/onion out of them when used in FWH or too much early in the boil tho. I'd go with something like this:

I've been sitting on some Summit hops out of fear of the garlic/onion effects. Can you avoid it by sticking to late additions?

ive only used it late and haven't gotten any onion/garlic. I have a friend that does an IPA annual with them thats never had a problem: Recipes - Stephen's Tangerine IPA - Maltose Falcons Home Brewing Society (Los Angeles Homebrewing)
and oskar blues gubna is just summit too (IIRC I get more dank than citrus from that one tho)

some people had issues with it in biermunchers sacred summit tho. not sure if they figured out why: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/sacred-summit-pale-ale-ag-62758/

FWIW, i'm actually pairing some with amarillo this weekend in an IPA

I had read on here somewhere about using the summit as a late addition. I think I'll go with the cluster for bittering and the summit late to try to pick up the citrus.

Thanks.

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back