Super fast lager fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

northernlad

Reaction score
Saturday 11/26 I brewed 10 gallons of Warthog Cream Ale from BYO's 150 clones. 5 gallons I pitched Wyeast 1098 and the other 5 gallons I pitched Wyeast 1025.
By Wednesday or Thursday I noticed the 1025 batch starting to clear so I took a gravity reading. It was ~1.015.

The fine print:
AG batch per recipe
Mash ~151
OG ~1.050
Yeast: 1 bag Wyeast 1025 in a starter of 3L fermented mid 60's until it cleared then crashed. Poured off the beer and pitched the slurry cold into ~70 wort. Fermentation started within hours.
Fermentation temp: Strip on the carboy read 54, thermometer in a growler of water read 50, constant.
After I took the gravity I moved the carboy into my house where it warmed to 60-62. Airlock activity continued for a couple days until yesterday when there was no apparent activity in the beer or airlock.
I have not taken a FG yet and have moved the carboy back out to the garage where the control water reads just over 40. I plan to take a reading tonight to see where it is.

Should I wait to transfer to secondary and lager or do you think I am good to go ASAP?
Any ideas why it was so fast?

I'd give it a little longer on the yeast cake to clean it up then rack to secondary to lager. only thing i can think of for that fast of fermentation is you had a monster of a yeast cake and 50-54 is on the warmer side of lager fermentations.

It was probably an inch of yeast in the bottom of a 4L wine jug. 54 is higher than the lager I did last year which took more than a week to finish but the temp range for the 1025 listed for the yeast was 48-58. I' ll leave it on for another week or so.

Another case of "it'll make beer" and in fact turn out quite good.

I'm sorry if I missed something, but how is this a "lager fermentation?" You used ale yeast (as an aside what strain is 1025?) at ale fermentation temperatures.

Aside from posting the wrong strain (it was 2035) its a lager fermentation due to the use of a lager yeast within its temperature tolerance.

It's definitely a lager fermentation if you used a lager strain, but that's why I asked. I've never used 2035 but might try it this summer. Good luck with your brews.

Back