DKershner, No Pils Pils question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trollby

Reaction score
I brewed it as we discused but I lager fermented since lager yeast at 50* F and boy there is a ton of sediment.

Is this normal?

I am bringing the temp up to bottle slowly to about 66* (is at 56* now from yesterday 52*)

I brewed it as we discused but I lager fermented since lager yeast at 50* F and boy there is a ton of sediment.

Is this normal?

I am bringing the temp up to bottle slowly to about 66* (is at 56* now from yesterday 52*)

I don't usually get much of a difference in lagers in terms of sediment on the bottom of the fermenter, but the ferments do take longer to flocculate out. How long have you let it sit? What you are describing is called a diacetyl rest, and can be beneficial for some yeast, but dont leave it at those temps for more than a day or two.

You can bottle lager, but make sure to let it fully ferment out before you bottle, and then some, or else bombs can occur.

Saturday will be 21 days, the lager yeast I used said "51-59 optimal up to 75.

the beer is Super clear, and smells amazing. Just was not sure if normal to have that much sediment, all the other brews have been normal. This is my first GF beer, was surprised at how much sediment considering no mash or steep was done

Well bottled it today, got 22 bottles from the test batch.

OG = 1.056 @ 66*F
FG = 1.010 @ 66*F
ABV 6%

I did a test with 10 bottles added Raspberry extract (2ml) in 6 bottles and 2ml Strawberry Extract in 4 bottles for a test of a fruit flavor since wife loves raspberry and strawberries

--- Edit ---

Here was my modified Recipe thanks For your help DKershner

Characteristics
---------------
Recipe Gravity: 1.051 OG
Recipe Bitterness: 16 IBU
Recipe Color: 3° SRM
Estimated FG: 1.013
Alcohol by Volume: 4.9%
Alcohol by Weight: 3.8%

Ingredients
-----------
Honey 1.00 lb, Sugar, Other
Rice Syrup Solids 0.50 lb, Extract, Extract
Sorghum Liquid Extract 1.80 lb, Extract, Extract

Cascade 0.25 oz, Pellet, 10 minutes
Hersbrucker (Germany) 0.50 oz, Pellet, 60 minutes
Kent Goldings (U.K.) 0.25 oz, Pellet, 0 minutes

Saflager S-23 Dry Lager Yeast 1.00 unit, Yeast, Temperature Range: 51°-59°(optimal), up to 75°F 11.5 GRAMS
Yeast Nutrient 3.00 unit, Additive, 1 teaspoon per Gallon of beer at pitch time

We tasted this tonight, DKershner this was a real hit!!

She loved it and wants me to start another batch so it will not run out

dsci2386.jpg

Good deal! Glad she liked it. It is surely an easy drinker. Enjoy, let me know how it goes from here on out.

Latest posts

Back