Amperage question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milesvdustin

Reaction score
Can I build an electric control panel for rims, the rims tube running a 2000W 240V element, and the Boil Kettle running a 5500W 240V element. I will heat water in the kettle, then pump it to my cooler hlt to wait for sparge. Im asking if I make this thing 40 Amp (GFI, SSrs, relays, everything) can I run the Rims and the boil kettle at the same time? That way I can be heating sparge water while my mash is circulating.

It should work, maybe, because total wattage would be at 7500W. So total amps with both elements running at max would be 31.25 amps. Two march pumps would add 2.8 amps, so 34 amps pretty much at max power. That is only a little bit above the 80% of 32 amps, but both pumps would only be running at very few intervals. Would 40 amp service work or should I go ahead and do 50 amp stuff?

2,000/240 = 8.3 amps
5,500/240 = ~23 amps
Pumps & bling-bling = ~ 4amps
Total = 35.3amps
A little overcurrent protection (120%) = 42.36 amps

So, your call. My "official-inspection-code" call would be 50 amps, but my (internal) Sparky call is okay on the 40 (despite getting the pending spit-balls on the next posts!).

Now, remember, there is different wire type. So, you may be able to choose a different type (depending upon your circumstance) to get the required amps.

I won't answer after Sparky, he is much more qualified than I. I will say that it works for me and leave it at that.

Back