8GAL kettle $25 shipped

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

impur

Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
What can you tell us about the thickness/sturdiness of the pot. I'm not expecting it to stop a bullet, but does it seem serviceable for years?

For $25 it doesn't have to last years...

Btw, I just bought one so I could do half batches on my stove during the winter. Great find!

For $25 it doesn't have to last years...

Sure it does. $25 for a kettle isn't free. I can get a decent stainless steel kettle for $70 that will last lifetimes. If I have to replace this every year then I lose money after three years. I plan on brewing for longer than three years.

Its slightly thinner than my turkey fryer, but not by much. The handles and rivets seem pretty strong, i boiled ~7gal of water in it to get the oxidized layer built up and picked the whole thing up full of water no probs.

The false bottom has holes too large for what we need, but i think you could put a screen over it to help, as well as drilling this and installing a valve. I'm considering doing that in the near future.

If you take care of your equipment this should last you AT LEAST 3 years IMO.

The false bottom has holes too large for what we need, but i think you could put a screen over it to help, as well as drilling this and installing a valve. I'm considering doing that in the near future.

Thanks for the info. The built-in ridge for a false bottom is what I really like about this kettle. I'm thinking I could fashion a new false bottom with finer holes for mashing. Is there enough room below the false bottom ridge to put the valve?

I use this same kettle, it loses a lot of heat through the sides and I got a much better boil after insulating it.

The handles are sturdy but I do worry picking it up full of wort.

Never used the false bottom.

I did a SMaSH brew in it over the weekend, ended up about 2.75gal. I mashed in the kettle and just covered the kettle with 2 towels. I lost 1-2 degrees in 1 hour which isn't too bad!

Man, that is a pretty good deal. Might be perfect for the stovetop all grain method that I was reading about yesterday.

I love Amazon. One of the few places that honors the free shipping to Alaska. Most other places charge you up the wazoo for shipping.

thank you now my starter kit is complete. no problem making smaller batches in a bigger pot to control boil over easier is there?

Your boil off rate will likely be a little different but that's hardly a show stopper.

allright thanks alot i am only going to be boiling 2.5 gallons with extract but i think it's a good idea to get a bigger then nescessary pot just in case i want to up production later. btw what is best procedure to stop extract from getting burnt to bottom of pot?

Keeping a good rolling boil going helps keep the extract from caramelizing on the bottom of the pot, since the water is continuously circulating... but I tend to stir regularly as well. I have a hard time leaving things alone. :)

allright thanks alot i am only going to be boiling 2.5 gallons with extract but i think it's a good idea to get a bigger then nescessary pot just in case i want to up production later. btw what is best procedure to stop extract from getting burnt to bottom of pot?

Add the extract toward the end of the boil. I add about 25% at the beginning, and the remainder with about 10min left in the boil when I've done extracts.

any thoughts on picking up 3 and doing an all grain setup with them?

I don't see why not. I'm doing mostly AG, though i have a cooler MLT and my turkey fryer for a HLT, but i don't see why it wouldn't work just as well with 3 of these.

...If I have to replace this every year then I lose money after three years. I plan on brewing for longer than three years.

hold the phones! you mean you don't plan on only brewing for 2 years!?!?!?! well, me either! and good point on the lifespan, thats why i bought all stainless equipment. sanitation ability and it'll NEVER wear out. my grandkids will get my brewery.

This is the pot I have, except I got it a little bigger, at K-Mart, on clearance. Love it.

Now, that being said, I AM looking to get a keg and make a keggle, but that is because I ant to get bigger and badder, not due to the pot. It is serviceable, cheap, and for my extract brewing it is WONDERFUL to drop in a sink of ice and cool quickly...

A lotta Alaskan's in this thread...I'm thinking about taking my PFD and going all Grain. It's great we live in a state that pays us :)

Thanks for linking this! Absolutely going to be my go-to recommendation for "wat should i buy for my first pot" buddies :) Wish I had known about this when I started out.

About 6 months ago (maybe longer) this same pot was on sale for $20 shipped and I bought one. I'm using it for my HLT and it works great.

Thanks for linking this! Absolutely going to be my go-to recommendation for "wat should i buy for my first pot" buddies :) Wish I had known about this when I started out.

My pleasure! I am always thankful when someone passes a good deal onto me, so I'm paying it forward :mug:

Got mine in today. It's nice and lightweight and fits perfectly on my stove. handles are made of heat resistant material it appears so that is a definite plus. everybody else wants $40 for a smaller pot so I think this is a pretty good deal.

I got this same pot at Target for $20. Check there too. I mash in a 10 gal Rubbermaid and use this to boil. It's pretty dent resistant because of the indent. I've done 50 gallons with it so far and have never worried about the handles, which are heat resistant, but I'd still use potholders after an hour boil.

Well making the money off the referral code in the link sure helps, eh?

The pot now says ships in 3-5 weeks.

Huh, you can do that??? Crap i didn't know that!

I'm looking all over the site i can't figure it out? Would you mind shooting me a link to how to do it for future use?

Back