WLP001 vs. US-05

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AviatorTroy

Reaction score
Well I'm contemplating trying the dry stuff. Ive always used WLP001 and had fairly good results with it, as in with the fermentation, but it's always left a very very slight yeasty twang that I find takes forever to age out of the beer. I'm interested in trying US-05 in my next Pale Ale and my next IIPA, and I'm hoping its neutral and a little cleaner than 001. Opinions? Also how would US-05 attenuate in an IIPA that's starting out in the 1.090 OG range? Thanks guys.....

I use US-05 regularly and like it a lot. I tend to ferment low-mid 60's and it's very clean IMO. Usually I get 75-80% attenuation when I use it.

supposedly, they are the same strain. i use the wyeast equivalent and have had better success at low temps with it over the us-05. i definitely get the peachy ester from 05 when fermented around 60. i haven't really tried a "normal" fermentation temp with it, and probably will someday, but i've got a batch or two of washed 1056 that have been treating me well lately.

supposedly, they are the same strain. i use the wyeast equivalent and have had better success at low temps with it over the us-05. i definitely get the peachy ester from 05 when fermented around 60. i haven't really tried a "normal" fermentation temp with it, and probably will someday, but i've got a batch or two of washed 1056 that have been treating me well lately.

I agree completely with this.

I really like 05. I would buy in bulk if I could. 1056 made a lot of good beer for me also but I like the convenience of dry. Never have tried wlp001 to compare though.

I'd use 2 packs for a 1.090 beer. It is my go to yeast, nothing peachy or off for my beers with it.

Ok, sounds great! The plan is to brew a regular old PA at around 1.056 first with 1 pack of US-05, then harvest some or all of the cake and pitch the active and freshly multiplying cells to the IIPA. That way I only have to buy 1 pack and I know it's not going to be underpitched.

I believe WLP001, Wyeast 1056 and US-05 are all the same strain, so there won't be any difference in the beer, with the exception of pitching rates.

I've stopped using s-05. It doesn't seem to flocculate well. It takes a long time to clear, and what is more problematic, the yeast cake is not compact, and on multiple occasions I have ended up with beer in the keg that wasn't clear and had a weird flavor (this is even when I let the beer clear in a secondary for a suitably long period of time). I am not positive that this is an issue with the yeast, but it seems to be because I don't have the flavor in beers made with liquid yeast, and the beers with the flavor also tend to be hazier (suggesting suspended yeast).

My diagnosis could be incorrect, and this might no be an issue of poor flocculation--but that is my best guess.

I could also be crazy or incompetent because most people love s-05.

Last point :)off:): I don't bother with either s-05 or its liquid equivalents. Why not do all your pale ales with kolsch yeast? It has been found to accentuate hop character better (than Chico strains) and it is more versatile because you can brew a host of German beers with it as well. I basically use kolsch yeast for half the stuff I brew now, and i love it!

I use S-05 for pretty much all of my American ales. I love it right around 64 degrees for a clean beer, though sometimes I take it down to about 58. I kind of like the peachy flavor it throws off at low temps. I think WLP001 is a really good yeast, too. Too me it's just not worth the extra expense and time of a liquid yeast that does the same thing as a cheaper dry variety.

I had not thought of using a Kolsh yeast, and yes I brew mostly German beers anyway, so now I might have to try it...

I also find 05 is a great multi-purpose yeast (I use it to finish off attenuation when the original yeast strain poops out - very effective). But I also agree it doesn't floc very well.

I've stopped using s-05. It doesn't seem to flocculate well. It takes a long time to clear, and what is more problematic, the yeast cake is not compact, and on multiple occasions I have ended up with beer in the keg that wasn't clear and had a weird flavor (this is even when I let the beer clear in a secondary for a suitably long period of time). I am not positive that this is an issue with the yeast, but it seems to be because I don't have the flavor in beers made with liquid yeast, and the beers with the flavor also tend to be hazier (suggesting suspended yeast).

I don't have too much experience with 05, but i've found the opposite than you. My pale ales clear well and are very clean when using this yeast.

It may take a long time to clear, but i subscribe to the set it and forget it method. I leave my beer in primary for 4 weeks (no secondary) and when i come back, the 05 is clear and the yeast cake is compact. In fact, it took some pretty hard water spray to break the cake free last time i cleaned my fermentor.

I could be the one screwing up, though, so who knows.

US-05 is all ive used for lots of IPAs, pale ales and heffs and the beers are wonderful. im just starting to get into liquid yeast but ive had great results with US-05

I have used us-05 for 95% of all my beers. No matter if it is a stout, IPA, blonde or anything in between.

It has allways worked like a champ for me. Very rarely have i had to use blow off tubes with 05 unless i know for a fact i got the carboy to full.

To me 05 is a very neutral yeast and fairly cheap. I have also used notty a time or two, had mixed feelings on it. I really should get a few more packets and give it a more fair test than what i did last time.
* airlock shot off the top of the carboy, Thus beer got infected * 05 sat there staring at the other carboy and kept bubbling away, So go figure *

Hope this helps a bit.

I use US-05 a lot, and really like it. I'm not sure why people would use 1056 or WLP001 when they could get more cells of essentially the same yeast in an easier to care for package for less money with US-05.

It might be a little slower to flocculate than some other yeasts, but It will flocculate very well and create a compact yeast cake if you leave it alone for at least 3 weeks. I've been using it at 65F, and it's had a very clean flavor and great attenuation as long as I use correct pitching rates and properly hydrate in water.

i like 001 because i wash the yeast and make 1L starters on a stirplate. this way the yeast CRANKS through the beer wort like nothing. the faster im done fermenting, the sooner the yeast gets a chance to flocc, the sooner im kegging and drinking. i find that us-05 takes quite sometime to ferm through wort compared to my 001 method. i try to ferm w/ 001 at ~64 F.

to the OP: when you are getting this "twang" flavor from 001, what temps are you fermenting at?

Ive been using WLP001 at about 68F and its always left a yeasty twang that seems to take a while to go away. I'm pretty sure its not my technique becasue I just did a 90 Shilling clone with WLP028 and it was clean as could be.

to be honest, if you do use 001 again, i would recommend ferm'ing even lower. from my experience, a steady 62-66 F might help you avoid that.

just my $.02

-Zach

Back