wlp001 or nottingham

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bullinachinashop

Reaction score
Last minute decision to brew tonight has me in a bind.

I'm brewing an AG Arrogant Bastard clone that will have a 15# grain bill.:D

I haven't even had time to put it into a calc yet to see where I'll be at for an OG. I'm sure it will be in excess of 1.010.

OK, question is do I use the WLP001 that I picked up for it without having time to do a starter, or use a dry nottingham?

Thanks

Bull

OK,

Change that to 16# grain and an OG of 1.086

I'm wondering if doing a starter for only 4 hours might work and if it fails to take off I could always pitch the notty

Thoughts???

you know the OG of AB is like 1.072 right? Are you trying for a Imperial AB?

to answer your question if you can oxygenate your starter, you can get some nice reproduction in 4 hours but not really any growth.

OK,

Change that to 16# grain and an OG of 1.086

I'm wondering if doing a starter for only 4 hours might work and if it fails to take off I could always pitch the notty

Thoughts???

Pitch the Nottingham. For a beer of 1.086 you definitely, absolutely must do a starter if you are using White Labs. 4 hours is not enough time.

I actually looked at 2 clone recipes for the AB and one had only 2 row and crystal 120. The other had 2 # of specialty grains added. So I figured I'd just combine the 2 and come up with a slightly stronger version.

I really hadn't planned this completly and only decided last minute as I found out my new 35 Qt SS pot arrived today.:rockin:

I could easily scale back the 2 row to get my OG down to where it would fit the recipe better, or I could just make it Imperial AB.

Your input is appreciated.

Bull

It's your beer and you should brew it the way you want to. Clones are not really that, it's not like we're brewing in the brewery with the brewer and taking the wort home with us after they give us their house strain and everything.

I say go for the Imperial AB, may need a bit of aging though. Also remember if you are combining the specialty grains that will probably be a lot of specialty grains in comparison to the base grain, IE: too much crystal which may not be a good thing.

Here"s what I've got;

10# 2row
3# marris otter (left over from my Irish red)
1# crystal 120
.5#special b
.5# belgin buscuit
.5# caramunich
.5# aromatic
3 oz Chinook

Do you think this is to much specialty?

Bull

Hydrate it properly, the procedures are different then for safeale products, and ferment between 62-66 degrees....then at the end of fermentation if you can hold it at 68-70 for a few days that would encourage complete attenuation. Just keep conditions perfect and you should be fine.

Here"s what I've got;

10# 2row
1# crystal 120
.5#special b
.5# belgin buscuit
.5# caramunich
.5# aromatic
3 oz Chinook

Bull

from what I understand special b is like crystal 150 which you already have 120. I honestly don't really know how those others will blend but I think if you are raising the gravity you may want to raise the bitterness to compenstate, maybe an extra 1/2 oz at the beginning.

I could leave the special b out.

I was thinking of using 1 oz of Warrior (16AA) for the bittering instead or the chinook.

This is my preferred bittering hop.

I think this is just turning into a nice IPA. Guess I'll have to rename it!

Almost ready to mash.

Bull

Here"s what I've got;

10# 2row
1# crystal 120
.5#special b
.5# belgin buscuit
.5# caramunich
.5# aromatic
3 oz Chinook

Bull

As the others said, I'd use either the crystal 120 OR the special b, but not both. If you use the crystal 120, a pound is enough. You may not want to use the caramunich- the result could be pretty cloying. As it stands, though, two pounds of crystal is too much in my mind.

I like chinook in AB- that's the only hop I use in my clone.

I just tryed to brew the double version of this but missed my OG by a bit. Ended up fermenting out to 8% ABV. I used the crystal 120 and it tastes really close to AB. I used a notty cake and pitched right on to it, it was the craziest fermentation I've ever had. The massive bubbles from the blow off tube kept waking up the SWMBO all night, I was in trouble!

I would make a starter out of the notty and pitch tomorrow.

Well, I mashed in at 154 deg and left out the # of crystal 120. Notty is rehydrating. Going with all chinook.

I might be a little thin on my mash as in the last minute rush, I forgot to subtract 1.25 qts. of water from my strike volume. 1.33 qts. per # should be fine though.

I'm trying to modify my mashing technique and reduce or eliminate HSA. No problems before but just always trying to brew better.

Bull

Just chiming in but AFAIK, Stone uses the Whitbread Dry yeast strain in all their beers. That would be S-04 or WLP007 if I'm not mistaken.

LHBS didn't have 007 and 2nd choice was 001. 007 was my fisrt choice but if you read the thread, this was spur of the moment.

About 30 min left in the boil and all is well.

1 change, I couldn't help myself and used the warrior as my bittering hop.

The schedule I decided on is this;

1 oz Warrior @ 60 min
1 oz chinook @ 15 min
.5 oz chinook @ 10 min
.5 oz chinook @ 5 min
1 oz chinook @ flameout.

IBU 79.46
SMR 33.38
Pre boil og 7.5 gal 1.055
OG est 1.075
FG est 1.017
ABV est 7.57

This is @ 75% eff.

Bull

I think dropping the Special B and replacing the crystal 120 for english crystal 155, I know that stone uses that stuff, you can see it in sacks when you do tours, and I'm pretty sure they use it in this beer.

Also, most stone is unfiltered, and you can culture the yeast up, which is similar to wlp007/s-04 but a bit cleaner.

That was the first time that I didn't have my brew planned. I don't recommend it. As many times as I've brewed, having everything planned and prepared ahead of time makes things go alot smoother.

I hit my mash temp and my gravities :).

The post boil hydo sample was pretty bitter even after having a few IPA's. I don't know if it will be an AB clone, but it is definitly ARROGANT!

I went to my brother-in-law's during the mash and picked up another packet of dry Nottingham and added it to my rehydrating packet. It's good to have a family member addicted to brewing!

Primary is sitting at 67 deg and chugging away nicely. I may try to cool it down a bit.

My effcience suffered a little (75% as compared to 82%). I'm trying a Papasian style lauter tun and with the grain bill @ 15#'s, I didn''t have room for everything. So it ended up being partialy batch sparged (what I couldn't fit into the tun) and partialy fly sparged.

In the end, I'm sure everything will be great.

So now I'll have to plan my next brew around the WLP004 and a pound of crystal 120. Any Ideas?

Thanks for all the input.

Bull

Latest posts

Back