Widmer Bros "Drifter Pale Ale"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay I realize this post is a few months old, but I had Drifter for the first time last night and am hooked. This is one of, if not the best beer I've ever had! My wife even liked it and she does not like beer. This will be getting brewed as soon as some nelson sauvin hops are in my hands.

I just ordered 10oz of Nelson hops. That should keep me going for a little bit! :rockin:

Ozzy, did you brew this recipe and if so, how did it turn out? Had one for the first recently and was blown away.

No idea how I missed this thread as it is also one of my favorite beers. Has anyone tried to recreate the "alchemy" hops by blending warrior, millenium and horizon?

Keep this thread alive as I'll probably try a clone this summer if the recipies are turning out as good as they say

I recently brewed a Drifter clone based off this thread as well. I bottled it last week, only tasted hydrometer samples so far.

I have to say, the samples did taste a TAD sweet, but I'm wondering how that will change after bottle conditioning and carbonation. It wasn't overwhelming, just slightly noticeable (and to be fair, I was looking for that after reading this thread).

The hop flavor was very close to the real deal! I drank the sample side-by-side with the real thing.

Can report back how it turned out in another week or two. I have 3 bottles of Drifter in the fridge for comparison, too. :)

Here was my recipe:

9lb 2-row
8oz caramel 20
8oz caramel 80
8oz caravienne
4oz cara-Pils

150* mash for 60mins

.4oz columbus 17.7% 60 min (LHBS was out of warrior)
.25oz nelson sauvin 12.5% 10 min
.25oz summit 18% 10 min
.5oz nelson sauvin dry hop 5 days
.5oz summit dry hop 5 days

Measured OG: 1.059
Measured FG: 1.012

What yeast did you use? Safale-05?

CA-LT1 said:
Hey dwarven, you could post your recipe in the tried-and-true recipe section if you feel it's refined enough.

Based on this thread, here's what I did:
5.25 gal batch
9 lb 2-row
12 oz C.20
8 oz C. 80
8 oz Caravienne
4 oz Cara-Pils
.5 oz Warrior 15.5% 60 min
.25 oz Summit 17% 5 min
.25 Nelson Sauvin 12.4% 5 min
.5 each N.S and Summit dry hop
Yeast: US-05
OG:1.055
FG: 1.009

I think it came out pretty good. I must have mashed a little low, FG just a touch low.

Now, a question for you all. Where the heck is all the N.S. hops? Did Widmer buy all of it for their Deadlift IPA? I can't find any of it for sale anywhere, and i want to brew this again

I used this recipe, mashed low, and subbed the Warrior for Magnum (on hand). Ran all the calcs through brew calculus and adjusted accordingly to what was on hand.

image-3284364574.jpg

Beautiful beer, it was a little on the bitter side, after 2 weeks on the gas, it is much smoother. IMO, not quite Drifter, but damn good. I love Nelson Sauvin.

The Drifter PA is my favorite. I'd really like to try this clone and wanted to see if anyone had an update to what they have brewed and from what recipe? Thanks for any feedback before I purchase the grain bill.

Back