My First Trappist

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mountainbeers

Reaction score
Just bought my first trappist, two Westmalle Dubbels. Any recommendations on how I should treat this beast? Refrigerate a few days? Pour at 51.7F? Or just chill and enjoy?

I would chill and serve like this;
I brought this bad boy and others home with me from the Netherlands.

DSCN0079.jpg
[/IMG]

Westmalle is amazing. I have a bottle of Dubbel and Tripel on my bar but I don't want to open them because they make nice decorations. :D

They're hard to come by in PA and if you do find them you'll pay far more than you should. Either way, you'll be sure to enjoy this one.

Westmalle is amazing. I have a bottle of Dubbel and Tripel on my bar but I don't want to open them because they make nice decorations. :D

They're hard to come by in PA and if you do find them you'll pay far more than you should. Either way, you'll be sure to enjoy this one.

Unfortunate that they are hard to come by. I was in my local Hiller's (grocery store) and picked up a bottle of Westmalle Tripel. Being my first trappist I was quite impressed.

Hiller's also has Chimay, Rochefort, and well over a dozen craft brewers, Bell's, Founders, Anchor Steam, Sierra Nevada.. The list goes on. Not bad for just a grocery store.

Oh yeah, and the Westmalle Tripel cost me $2.99. I wasn't sure if they were mis marked, or they're just crazy....

Unfortunate that they are hard to come by. I was in my local Hiller's (grocery store) and picked up a bottle of Westmalle Tripel. Being my first trappist I was quite impressed.

Hiller's also has Chimay, Rochefort, and well over a dozen craft brewers, Bell's, Founders, Anchor Steam, Sierra Nevada.. The list goes on. Not bad for just a grocery store.

Oh yeah, and the Westmalle Tripel cost me $2.99. I wasn't sure if they were mis marked, or they're just crazy....

Nice!

Here in PA we can only buy beer at 6 pack shops or "distributors". It'd be a blessing if I could get beer at a grocery store or gas station. Rochefort and Westmalle can only be found in 6 pack shops, and I've seen prices for one 12 ounce bottle from $8 - $12. As a rule of thumb, take any price for beer in another state and double that: that's the price you pay in PA.

Nice!

Here in PA we can only buy beer at 6 pack shops or "distributors". It'd be a blessing if I could get beer at a grocery store or gas station. Rochefort and Westmalle can only be found in 6 pack shops, and I've seen prices for one 12 ounce bottle from $8 - $12. As a rule of thumb, take any price for beer in another state and double that: that's the price you pay in PA.

Well, my first thought was you should up and move for that reason alone. But I guess it is easier to justify buying homebrew equipment when brewing is all that much cheaper!

Well, my first thought was you should up and move for that reason alone. But I guess it is easier to justify buying homebrew equipment when brewing is all that much cheaper!

Yeah, the general consensus is that no one will save money when homebrewing in comparison to buying beer in the store. With PA prices, that might be debatable. :D

You should see how much beer I bring back when I go to New Jersey and Maryland.

I used to go over into PA because WV didn't sell anything with above 7% ABV. But they changed that this summer and thank god. I bought this Westmalle for $5.25.

Back