Bottle Or Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miafunk2003

Reaction score
was just wondering is it better to bottle or to keg? If keggin is better could you please tell me what i need to purchase and where.

It depends what you want...

Bottling is cheaper and the beer is portable

Kegging is easier, but more expensive and less portable. It also gives you more control over carbonation.

portability is not an issue.but does the f;avor of the beer change if it were in bottle or keg...how expensive is it?

With kegging you have one big bottle to clean, not 48-50. If you screw up on that one, you screw up big, but then again, it is easy to clean ONE container right. I love kegging, I hate bottling.

I started with kegging, so I can't tell you about flavor issues.

My biggest reason for going with kegging is that bottling seemed like a real pain in the neck. That's seems to be the reason that most people go that direction.

ok i guess ill try keggin...does anyone know where i could get a good deal that brings everything i need

Hermish said:
I bottle right now, but started doing 10 gallon batches and need to switch to kegging. it takes a long time to bottle all of that beer. I think this is what i am going to buy. i havent heard anyone say a better deal then this for the kegging setup.
http://www.ebrew.com/cornelius_kegging_system_ball_lock/cornelius_ball_lock_system.htm

The problem with that one is the cobra tap. That's "ok", but trust me, you'd MUCH rather have a shank or tower system with a tap outside of the fridge.

Also, check with local gas shops. Often times you can get on an exchange program with your bottle. Then you never have to worry about testing, waiting - and upgrading is easier.

Kegs are cheap at Adventures on Homebrewing - Parts are cheap at Beverage Factory or Micromatic

sorry guy but im a rookie...I need to know exactly every part i need....what type of keg what is a cobra tap what is a shank?etcccc

Check out that Beverage Factory link above. The shank one is linked. To see a tower set up, look at the Tower Kegerator Conversion Kits in the left nav.

A cobra tap is the kind you'd see at a party where there is a keg. Just the hose and the plastic serving tip

Back