Valve installation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharkeydude

Reaction score
Well I've searched this site for an answer and now I'll just ask. I've got a weldless valve to install on my kettle, how far from the bottom of the kettle should I mount this thing?

I was initially told 3.5 - 4 inches off bottom. In hind sight I say it was close but the real thing I felt was important is to make sure you avoid any curvatures of the keggle wall or dents/dings.

A dip tube will help get the liquid out from the lower than the valve part....

I just installed my valve in a 60 qt. aluminum kettle and it's 2 inches up from the bottom. At that height, it leaves just shy of 1 1/2 gallons without a dip tube. So far so good, no leaks. I did the trick of fully tightening the assembly without the o-rings in order to somewhat flatten the area around the valve and then re-installing with the o-rings.

+1 on the curve at the bottom. Make sure your valve & SS washer clear the curve and you are good. The dip tube can almost touch bottom to get all the wort when you drain.

Back